We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on our outline itinerary

manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
advice on our outline itinerary

Hi there,

we're doing a road trip June 2013 and in early planning stages. We don't want to hammer the driving, want lots of good stops to enjoy the scenery/activities/beauty, and are looking at a mixture of hotel/camping/motel accommodation to ease costs.

So far, this is the basic plan:

1 nght Calgary to recover from flight and acclimatise

4 nights based in Banff, trips out around from there, walks, white water etc.

1 night staying along icefields parkway (?glacier view inn)

2 nights based in Jasper

1 night Lake Louise (possibly camping here)

Then heading off for vancouver: 1 night revelstoke, i night Kamloops, finishing off the trip with 4 nights based in vancouver.

I'm getting dizzy with all the other possibilities, I know its all down to personal choice, but can you guys see any glaring errors/omissions with this as a basic itinerary of stops?

More questions later.....no doubt!

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,988 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on our outline itinerary

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums, Caroline!

Just a couple of thoughts on your itinerary. I'm not sure why you're planning on staying overnight on the Icefields Parkway. If you're planning to take in some hiking in the area, or want to take an early or late Glacier Experience trip, that can be a good idea. Otherwise, accommodations and food on the Icefields Parkway are pricy and unimpressive. Since you're coming in June, you have more than 12 hours of daylight to drive the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper. That's a 4-hour drive non-stop, so you can take your time at every little scenic pullout and viewpoint and really enjoy the trip. Make sure to get a box lunch and top off your fuel before you leave Banff so that you're not forced to stop at the same bottlenecks that the tourists stop at. (There are only 4 places to eat, and 1 gas station, between Lake Louise and Jasper.)

You might also reconsider the number of days you're spending in Vancouver; it's a lovely city, with many attractions, but people rarely complain that they spent too *much* time in the Rockies.

Mentioned in this post
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,529 Reviews
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,181 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on our outline itinerary

I agree with C_W. Why stay along the IP? Add that day to Jasper. Also you might consider other routes to Vancouver other than to stay at Kamloops. Have you considered heading down into the Okanagan region via Kelowna, although I would not stay in Kelowna but in a smaller town nearby, like Penticton.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
Okanagan Valley
Okanagan Valley
British Columbia, Canada
Kelowna
Kelowna
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Penticton
Penticton
Okanagan Valley, Canada
3. Re: advice on our outline itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: June 21, 2013, 9:40 am