We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance on rental car out of Fiumicino Airport

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
456 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance on rental car out of Fiumicino Airport

I am doing a fly/drive/hotel package from a travel agent. They have assigned me a car from Sicily by Car. I have concerns about that rental car company and have requested another car rental. My concern is the charges for CDW, Theft protection,and deposit. Then they have the "Car Protection Plus" coverage. I read I could get coverage cheaper from Rentalcover.com. Advise on what coverage I need to get for the car.

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,935 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance on rental car out of Fiumicino Airport

Sicily by Car is a rental company to avoid. Same for Goldcar and Maggiore.

In general, rental cars in Italy will come will full insurance for third party injuries but the insurance for loss or damage will have an excess (deductible) of maybe €2000. You can elect to reduce the deductible when you pick up the car by paying an extra charge.

If you do not arrange zero-deductible insurance with the rental company, you will have a "hold" placed on your credit card for the amount of the deductible. If the car is stolen or damaged, the deductible will be charged to your card and you will have to seek a refund from your insurer.

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance on rental car out of Fiumicino Airport

Agreeing with Nick, the TA is incompetent. We call up Autoeurope for our cars, get comprehensive insurance. Sticking with this company, crouch down and look carefully for a scratch under the front bumper.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
798 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance on rental car out of Fiumicino Airport

Full coverage, zero deductible is worth every penny!! First accident in 18 trips, not our fault, first time we had full coverage - peace of mind- priceless!!

Australia
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insurance on rental car out of Fiumicino Airport

I am using rentalcover.com in Australia right now because well reviewed by people who have had claims settled quickly. You will, if any event, have to pay the car rental company their excess and then seek reimbursement by Rentalcover but they appear to do this quickly.

5. Re: Insurance on rental car out of Fiumicino Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: July 16, 2018, 4:18 pm

New Windsor
Level Contributor
297 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insurance on rental car out of Fiumicino Airport

I used Auto Europe (office in Maine) to rent from Hertz.

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) including damage to wheels, glass, underside and roof of vehicle with zero deductible

Theft Protection (TP) with zero deductible

Credit Card Block: EUR 200.00 will be blocked on the client's credit card at time of pick up which I never saw.

And no problems!

Reply to: Insurance on rental car out of Fiumicino Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted