We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
40 reviews
75 helpful votes
Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Save

Hi All, hope everyone is ok?

Myself and my husband have a villa booked for Playa Blanca for the last 2 weeks in August this year. We booked it last March before Covid hit us all, so i'm praying it goes ahead. We have both had our first dose of the vaccine and second dose due in June, so should a 'vaccine passport' be required, we will have it.

As I have everything crossed that it will go ahead, I am starting to plan little bits of our trip as this will be our first time ever renting a villa. We have booked our car hire with Autoreisen, a Citreon C3 which should be plenty big enough for the 2 of us and our luggage.

I read a tip on here that people suggested that one of us get the luggage and the other go and collect the car as the queues are usually big. I liked this tip and wondered if there were any more people could suggest for people renting villas? Such as, are there any things we should bring with us? If we rent a lodge/cottage in the UK I usually take a cooler bag and some tupperware for picnics, is it worth taking such things in my case? Is there anything we need to buy when we arrive?

My husband loves a BBQ and the villa has a 'Canarian' BBQ, will the villa usually provide firelighters etc or should we get these from the supermarket when we arrive?

Do people usually do a big shop when they arrive or go shopping every other day or so for items they need?

Any advice and tips you could suggest would be great as we build up an idea of what to expect should our holiday go ahead (Crosses everything) x

29 replies to this topic
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
149 reviews
169 helpful votes
1. Re: Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Save

All villas are different. It is common for villas to provide enough coals and fire lighters for a first barbecue but not always, the same goes for food in a welcome pack. It’s not unusual for villas to have a whole host of stuff you were not expecting but you won’t know till you arrive.

Taking a lot of stuff may seem a good idea but luggage allowance issues make this impractical. Supermarkets top ups usually depends on how near you are to a reasonable sized shop. In Playa Blanca there is a big supermarket near the bus station and also a great Chinese shop for all those bits and pieces you cannot carry and are missing from the villa. Both of these are near the bus station.

Suss out where convenience stores and supermarkets are before you go.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
14,107 posts
109 reviews
177 helpful votes
2. Re: Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Save

Personally I would just plan your trip in the back of your mind

I have had two trips cancelled so getting excited is too painful

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
40 reviews
75 helpful votes
3. Re: Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Save

Oh I know. I haven't even put the dates of our holiday on my 2021 calendar yet in case i'm tempting fate, but just thought i'd get people talking and at least dream about the possibility of it going ahead. If I give up all hope now then i'll end up depressing myself. It's good to have a little bit of positivity.

Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands, Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
893 reviews
373 helpful votes
4. Re: Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Save

I think you have a good chance of getting away late August.

We rent villas a lot. Normally, we do a big shop the first day, stock up on the bulky items, bottled water, beer, wine, toilet rolls etc. Then we tend to get fresh bread and a few bits each day. I guess it depends on what is close to your villa.

I would recommend taking tea and coffee, particularly if like a specific brand.

I wouldn’t bother with a cool bag, if you decide you want one you will be able to pick one up locally and they will be cheap enough.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
40 reviews
75 helpful votes
5. Re: Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Save

Oh tea and coffee, yes! Good shout. Last time we went to an all inclusive in Gran Canaria we wished we'd brought our own teabags because the Lipton on offer was rubbish.

Mansfield...
Level Contributor
788 posts
33 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Save

In addition to tea, coffee, sugar etc we take a supply of our favourite snack bars, not too much but enough to last our villa duration, but sufficient to create some room in our luggage to bring back those 'little items' bought on holiday. We also take sun creams, we find them much dearer locally.

Our first trip the shop is usually the 1st day...bread, milk, eggs, fruit, salad stuff and of course the essentials, water, beer and wine :)

Hope you can enjoy your stay, we arrive mid September, fingers crossed

Portarlington...
Level Contributor
647 posts
62 reviews
77 helpful votes
7. Re: Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Save

For anyone in a villa without a car do any of the supermarkets do home delivery for a weekly shop?

Level Contributor
762 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Save

Whoever is in the queue at Autoreisen will need the other driver’s passport and licence.😀.

What time do you arrive and what day? This might dictate what supermarkets are open (flight gets in late you might need a few bits to tide you over until big shop the following day).

You can buy most uk brands in Lanzarote, but I always take some tea as we drink loads! There might be restrictions on food items though now the UK is out of the EU.

I would expect to buy stuff for a bbq though you might get lucky and find that the last guests have left some.

If you have hold luggage I would take a few laundry tabs (I would use 3 a week), and maybe some softener. Similarly if there is a dishwasher, you might want to take a couple of dishwasher tabs. You don’t want to have to buy a whole box of this stuff or carry a whole box. Softener in a shampoo bottle.

We also have a picnic salt and pepper we used to take. Oh and I would take a kitchen scrubber and a bathroom scrubber - they seem to be expensive in our local shop I once was charged 3€ for a single one (my husband checked to see if it was gold plated). I would also pack a tea towel. We also take a roll of sandwich bags.

We do a big shop - drinks, water, milk stuff for breakfasts and snacks. We then top up at our local convenience store in Faro Park. We usually have breakfast in the villa, though have been known to have an odd cooked breakfast out and we have a simple lunch then dinner out. If we’re out during the day we might have lunch out and then drinks and snacks in the villa that evening.

I don’t do cooking on holiday and we have a meal out or takeaway main meal every day. There is (in normal times) a great deal to choose from and all budgets catered for. We’re not big drinkers but we’re not tea total. We find a budget of 100€ per day is plenty but regularly spend much less!

Edited: March 31, 2021, 9:17 pm
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
40 reviews
75 helpful votes
9. Re: Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Save

Brilliant tips, thanks.

Our flight arrives in Lanzarote at 11am on a Thursday so if the villa owners don't allow us in early, then we can schedule a little stop on the way to Playa Blanca and grab some lunch, ditch the bags once we can get into the villa and then do our big shop.

Laundry tabs is another good idea. I could take less clothes and even do a wash before we come home to save on the amount I have to do when I get back.

The budget of 100 euros a day is a good guide, I was wondering how much we would roughly need. I don't intend on doing much cooking, my husband loves BBQs so he will no doubt spend a few nights cooking on that and i'll just put some jacket potatoes in the oven, so it will be pretty easy cooking when we do eat in.

Keep the tips coming, they all help.....

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
14,107 posts
109 reviews
177 helpful votes
10. Re: Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Save

UK travellers seem to take lts of electrical gadgets on holiday that need charging but some Spanish hotels are short on power points.

So, take a UK short extention lead with 4 plug points and one Euro adaptor so that you can recharge 4 at once

Reply to: Dreaming of a summer holiday.....Tips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.