We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dental work in Mexico??

Wetaskiwin, Canada
10 posts
Save Topic
Dental work in Mexico??

I have been told that if you go to Mexico you can get dental work done for reasonable prices.Can anyone tell me of a good,trustworthy,honest Mexican dentist that can do some major dental work for me? I've never been to Mexico before and this is a whole new adventure for me as well, any help would be much appreciated by myself. Us Canadians are GOOD people!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
171 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dental work in Mexico??

I've been to Los Algodones four times for lots of work...implants, crowns, root canal, sinus boost...

If you email me at my yahoo.com address, I'll send you the 30-page journal I wrote after my first trip in 2006.

SuzanneFromSeattle (at)

Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dental work in Mexico??

I have been there twice in the last four months and my husband and I just got back two days ago. We have an excellent dentist and I highly recommend him. We had crowns, bridges, cleanings and cavities. I will be happy to give you his and the clients name but not sure if I can post it on here.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dental work in Mexico??

As an American traveling in any foreign country I believe we need to learn how to research situations in order to protect ourselves.

So here is my story: I hope you can learn from it.

I went to large well advertised dental clinic because I heard a National Public Radio interview that happened to mention them. The large clinic was well advertised, the entry way and waiting room were clean but I started noticing things after being there hours.

1. It was only clean on the surface: it was downright un-sanitary! Now, what do I mean by this? No one washed their hands, the uniforms were grubby, the walls of the treatment room and the floors were sort of dirty, the equipment was smudged .

2. Communication problems: The people I spoke to on the phone spoke wonderful English, they were firendly and I was very comfortable with them (I didn't realize they were sales people - foolish me). In the clinic the dentists and aids did not speak much if any English.

3. Rushed and problematic procedures: I was panicking but they were in my mouth and I couldn't leave. So, I stayed while they rushed me through a root canal but when they told me to come back the next day to put on a crown, I did not go back. My tooth felt loose. Something felt wrong. I had paid them for the work they did but I was not going to go back and let them do medical treatment on my mouth in that un-sanitary place.

4. Ads sayhing they accept Blue Cross: Well they accepted Blue Cross dental only in that they filled out the paperwork. They were not contracted with Blue Cross. Misleading at best.

So, what did I do? I stayed at a hotel in Yuma overnight and called a friend of mine back home in Scottsdale who was an office manager of a dental clinic. She told me how her office handled all the horrible infections and bone infections that people were coming home with from the large dental place I was at and other "puppy mill dental clinics" down there (I thought her term "puppymill dental clinics" sort of really spoke to what I saw, an un-sanitary rushed atmosphere). I was totally scared. Another problem I had was the big clinic promised to "take Blue Cross Insurance." They took it - only in that they filled out the paperwork.

I needed a dentist, I could not afford the dentist in my home town, so what was I going to do??? The next morning I checked and found a dentist in Los Algodnes that actually took my Blue Cross plan. He did not just fill out the paperwork, he actually just took the deductible because he was contracted to do so.

I went to this dentist and his is office was a small clean - he did not use hawkers to pull in patients or billboards to advertise. Dr. Jorge Cruz was well trained, and he spoke perfect English as did his partner dentist that worked there. I was so relieved to be in a clean sanitary office and he did not pressure me. There was no rushed over-crowded big waiting room. He took x-rays and showed me PROOF of each problem. He showed me how the un-sanitary dental clinic had left in a broken pick in my tooth before they closed it up and explained how they missed an abscess. He also showed me that they did not leave a proper amount of tooth for the crown. After going over my x-ray with me, he gave me options for me to choose on how to go forward. No pressure, no BS. He saved my tooth, cured me of an abscess that the un-sanitary place had missed, and put in the crown for less than the other place. My American dentist had quoted me $12,000 (for a couple of root canals and a 3 tooth bridge); the first un-sanitary dentist I saw in mexico quoted me $4,000 for all the work I needed. Dr. Jorg Cruz charged me $1,200.

It's a year since I first saw him and I still pleased. Since I live near Yuma, I go to see him for all my dental visits now. I also finally got my husband to get his gum disease taken care of and he will also be getting some extensive bridgworkk done. Next I will get my grandson here for the summer and get his BRACES done for an affordable price. Happy happy happy. I mean, as happy as you can be with dental work. lol

Now there are a number of good reputable dentists in Los Algodnas, and I can personally tell you about my good experience with Dr. Jorge Cruz (phone number in the US is 866-852-362; email jorgecruzdds@hotmail.com).

So, what is the take away lesson I learned here?

1. Don't believe fancy advertising (pretty billboards, slick webpages, fast talking sales staff on the phone), it can look good and sound good; they will make friends with you on the phone - don't fall for it.

2. Don't take anyone's word for something (not even mine), check out the dentist every way you can. Make a few appoints the same day and do a walk through (not just the outer office - ask to see the treatment rooms; ask to talk to staff).

3. Walk in for a quick visit to see what you think of the office; and use all the sources you trust to make a good decision for yourself.

YOU can find a good dentist when you are out of the country by following good common sense and remembering that people talk a good line but you should check everything out yourself.

Remember, YOU have the control, it's your body (and mouth) - and your health. Don't take chances with it. The internet and phone gives you a great deal of information but nothing beats walking through an office - nothing. Don't fall for hype and promises -- look for good solid proof.

Edited: January 05, 2016, 6:25 pm
Mentioned in this post
Yuma
Yuma
Arizona
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dental work in Mexico??

Can I ask you who that first clinic was in Los Algodones? the dirty one? I had a very similiar situation when I first went there. It was horrible and they wanted me to come back. After hours and $ spent I left with out the procedure being finished. I also found a better dentist that was good and a sterile clean office,etc.

Sand Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dental work in Mexico??

We like castle dental clean fast and good prices friendly service good care

Excelsior Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dental work in Mexico??

My Implants are all failing. I'm going to have them pulled. I'm so overwhelmed. Sani did the work, they are suppose to warranty them. We will see v

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dental work in Mexico??

Ouch!

GLewia, may I ask how long you've had your implants? I've never been to Sani (even here in Washington State, I tend to stay away from businesses that seem to spend most of their profits in advertising) and have no intention of using them.

How long after the implants were "installed" did you start having problems? I've had my implants since 2006 and 2007. The only issue I've had with them is that one crown fell off last fall. Not too worried as I've had crowns come loose in less than eight years when done by Seattle dentists.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Excelsior Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dental work in Mexico??

I had my first ones installed in sept 2013 and then more later. Its not suppose to go like this. My body is rejecting them. It's good to hear success stories.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dental work in Mexico??

I hope your body isn't rejecting them due to some sort of infection.

Best wishes for a great outcome!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dental work in Mexico??

hi, can you tell me who you went to? I have an appointment booked at Castle Dental but I'm not completely sold on them. thanks!

Reply to: Dental work in Mexico??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Los Algodones