We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy groceries before entering the park?

6 posts
1 review
Buy groceries before entering the park?
Save

We will be renting a car in Fresno. Is it easier/cheaper to get snacks and grocery items there as opposed to purchasing at the village store in the park?

5 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
90,145 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
1. Re: Buy groceries before entering the park?
Save

I think that the selection is greater in bigger towns & cities, but if you want to shop at the Village Store, that can work.

If you like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, those are easily found in Fresno.

If you just want a grocery store, stop at Von's or Raley's in Oakhurst. Easy access from Hwy 41. I think this may be "easiest" as you can park your car near the grocery store & get whatever you need.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
28,485 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
2. Re: Buy groceries before entering the park?
Save

I always think it's easier because sometimes the lines are very long at the Village store in the summer even before Covid. Last summer it was ridiculous even trying to get in. Also selection and prices are better outside the parks. We do stock up at Trader Joe's before our trips.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
3. Re: Buy groceries before entering the park?
Save

For general shopping the Vons or Raleys in Oakhurst work well.

If you are looking for specialty items or specific brands or specific stores then you would probably stop in Fresno. Besides Whole Foods or Trader Joes, Fresno would be the closest location for other stores with groceries such as Costco, Sams Club, Winco, Sprouts, Target, Walmart, or various ethnic/specialty food stores.

For example, I have a friend who when their out of country relatives visit Yosemite they shop in Fresno instead of Oakhurst. They are looking for a larger selection of Asian items and brands than is carried at Vons or Raleys in Oakhurst. Same thing for vegan, organic, etc.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
23,783 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Buy groceries before entering the park?
Save

Yes to both questions. Especially in the summer time, even finding parking at the Yosemite Village can be a headache, besides waiting in a long time for your check out.

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
20 reviews
80 helpful votes
5. Re: Buy groceries before entering the park?
Save

Another vote for the mainstream grocery stores in Oakhurst.

Reply to: Buy groceries before entering the park?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.