We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining in the park - May 2021

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
56 posts
74 reviews
36 helpful votes
Dining in the park - May 2021
Save

Has anyone eaten at any of the open restaurants or lounges inside Yosemite recently that you liked? Which ones?

I’m concerned about long lines/waits during the day when we have hikes planned. Should we pack our own breakfast and lunches and just eat dinner out? We are staying inside the park at YVL for 3 nights next week. Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
California
12 posts
1. Re: Dining in the park - May 2021
Save

Hi Luv2travel,

I don't have any great advice. But I do have some of the same questions regarding dining in the valley this year, so I hope you get some helpful responses.

We will be at YVL for 5 days next month, and I plan on bringing more food than I normally would. Prior to covid, we had enjoyed rotating through the various eateries in the Valley. With few choices this summer, and no shuttles, I think I we will bring some dinners for this trip? We always bring some breakfast and trail snacks.

Dinner seems like more work and I am guessing some of the experienced travelers have some clever ideas. I would love to hear what others are doing, I don't want to make it too complicated, but honestly, good food would certainly add to the Yosemite experience. :)

Joy

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
11,072 posts
2. Re: Dining in the park - May 2021
Save

Bringing breakfast and lunch items is a good idea. We like to bring an electric kettle for coffee, tea, instant oatmeal & noodles, maybe even a boiled egg.

Here is a link to the concessionaire and what is open- it really helps to not eat at ‘regular’ times, lines can get very long. Arrive Early or late.

https://www.travelyosemite.com/alerts/2020/covid-19-guest-updates/

If you have a free afternoon, consider a BBQ at a picnic area. These can be popular, so arrive a bit early. Here is a nice description from another poster—

“The best two dinners we had all trip involved going to the Village Store and buying hamburger patties, buns, cheese, corn on the cob, and instant light charcoal and grilling at Cathedral Beach picnic area in their on-site grills. The kids played football while the food cooked. We saw bear and deer both nights as the sun went down. ”

Edited: May 15, 2021, 10:49 pm
San Marcos...
Level Contributor
111 posts
69 reviews
19 helpful votes
3. Re: Dining in the park - May 2021
Save

I stayed at YVL from May 3-6. The base camp which serves Breakfast, lunch and dinner opens at 7:30am for breakfast. We got there at 7 and waited til it opened. Ther was quite a line by 7:30. So if you want to get an early start bring something for breakfast. There is small coffee pot in the room but I thought it looked dirty and so I didn't use it. There is a very small refrigerator. We ate dinner twice at the base camp. It has the feel of a summer camp cafeteria. The food was reasonably priced but just ok at best. The Bar at YVL serves dinner too. We didnt realize that otherwise we would have eaten there instead of the base camp. Its a nice atmosphere and the food seemed more appetizing . We had lunch one day at Degen's deli and that was pretty good. The Awahani hotel has a lovely dining room. We had dinner there back in October. It was pricy, very good food, no table service but you can sit in the dining room. They use paper plates and plastic utensils. This visit we decided to skip the Awahani meal and wait until covid restrictions are lifted and we can be served in the beautiful dining room You should definitely go ther and check the place out. One more suggestion, if you don't like soap from a dispenser in your hotel room than bring a bar of soap for hand washing and showers.

Reply to: Dining in the park - May 2021
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.