We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying the annual pass

Level Contributor
1,108 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
Buying the annual pass
Save

Hello!

We usually buy the annual pass at the entrance of yosemite but we are not sure how this year it will work.

We bought a day use pass and hoping the $30 can go towards buying the annual pass.

Does anyone know if they are issuing passes at the entrances in Yosemite and if the day use permit fee can go towards that?

Or should we call the park service and ask them?

Thanks!

20 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
90,096 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
1. Re: Buying the annual pass
Save

Hi

The numbers are not accurate.

A Day Use Entry permit *with* an entrance pass costs $35.

A Day Use Entry Permit *without* an entrance pass (meaning that you have a Yosemite Annual Pass or an annual America the Beautiful Federal Lands pass) costs $2.

I don't think you'll be able to apply the extra $33 toward an $80 America the Beautiful federal lands pass, but I'm not a ranger at the gate.

I suggest sending an email to the Yosemite NPS staff. Having a written record of the discussion may be needed if this ranger says the extra $$ can apply toward the annual pass but the entrance gate ranger is unwilling.

>>Does anyone know if they are issuing passes at the entrances<<

Yes. Anyone can purchase an $80 America the Beautiful pass at the entrance gate. Credit card required. You can also buy an annual Yosemite pass for $70 if you're only going to Yosemite.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
62,961 posts
8,639 reviews
4,009 helpful votes
2. Re: Buying the annual pass
Save

as long as the entrance station is manned, just buy your pass there. Its a fast process and no need to buy in advance. Usually the entrance station does have rangers there = however middle of the night sometimes not.

Level Contributor
1,108 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Buying the annual pass
Save

(I just said the numbers from memory)

Right, I will email them see what they say! Hope that money can go towards the pass.

Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
90,096 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
4. Re: Buying the annual pass
Save

I hope so too!

Please let us know what you learn.

Note that none of the entrance gates are manned during the night. There should be some self-registration materials for folks who arrive when there is no ranger. If that's you, maybe later you could get your Annual Pass at the Visitor Center outdoor station at Yosemite Village. I think that arriving during daylight hours when you can see all the Yosemite beauty is usually "better."

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
5. Re: Buying the annual pass
Save

In the past you were able to apply the cost of a vehicle entrance fee purchased at the gate to the purchase of an annual pass within 7 days of paying the entrance fee. Yosemite had a mail-in method for that.

But now with online entrance fee purchases and other changes I don't know if that is still done or what the process would be (online, mail, in-person, etc)

Hopefully when you contact the Park they still have that option and can explain to you where and how to do it.

Level Contributor
1,108 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Buying the annual pass
Save

I emailed and will report back when they answer!

Yeah with all the changes who knows, I was hoping the online system would have an option to only buy the reservation but you can only do that if you already have the annual pass when booking the reservation, wich is annoying.

Level Contributor
1,108 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Buying the annual pass
Save

Well that was quick!

"Hello -

Yes, when you arrive with your day-use permit reservation just let the entrance station staff know that you'd like to upgrade to an annual America the Beautiful Pass and they will charge you the additional (credit card only)"

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
90,096 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
8. Re: Buying the annual pass
Save

Excellent news!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
9. Re: Buying the annual pass
Save

Simple too. Much simpler than the old mail-in process.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Buying the annual pass
Save

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy an annual pass somewhere near YNP? I've heard it's better to have one in hand before arriving so you can use the priority lane to enter the park. Thanks!

Reply to: Buying the annual pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.