We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge

St. Neots, United...
4 posts
1 review
Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Save

We are planning a trip here in the summer for 2 adults and 3 children for 2 nights. We will have a car. Which location is best to stay at, Curry Village or Valley Lodge? TIA

11 replies to this topic
Extreme Northern...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
28 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Save

Yosemite Valley Lodge. You’ll have your own bathroom and won’t have to wait in long lines for showers.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,398 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
2. Re: Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Save

Hi Dazo2003, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums

Only two choices? What is your criteria for a better lodging choice? Are both available? I don't think you mean this summer as Yosemite Valley Lodge books up early. The cabins with bath at Curry Village fill early. There are some tent cabins with a double/full bed and three single beds that might possibly maybe perhaps work for you.

See the relevant topics in the Top Questions on the right, Full TripAdvisor website.

You pretty much need a car. Public transit options are weak.

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
29 reviews
73 helpful votes
3. Re: Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Save

Do you have an option for either? The summer months usually book out a year in advance. If you can choose, get a room at Yosemite Valley Lodge. It’s much nicer lodging than Curry.

St. Neots, United...
4 posts
1 review
4. Re: Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Save

Thanks for the quick response. In terms of location which property would be best do you think?

I would hopefully be looking for a cabin w/bath in Curry Village.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
89,398 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
5. Re: Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Save

When? You must mean 2022.

Did you read the lodging article in the Top Questions?

Your two options are both in Yosemite Valley which is small. Neither one has an obviously better location. Both have dining options on-site. Both have bike rentals. Both are near trailheads.

Neither one is better.

St. Neots, United...
4 posts
1 review
6. Re: Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Save

Sorry I should have said, yes 2022. I am trying to plan now so that I can book and have the options available to me.

I have looked at so many forums and threads that I am at the stage of confusing myself the more I read.

If there is no difference in location then I will probably go with YVL.

Thanks for all your comments.

St. Neots, United...
4 posts
1 review
7. Re: Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Save

I should also add that the reason I have narrowed it down to these 2 properties is due to wanting to stay in the park rather than lots of travelling. And the Ahwahnee is out of our budget due to needing a suite and connecting room to accommodate 5 of us.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
89,398 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
8. Re: Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Save

Yosemite Valley Lodge has a Family Bunk Room. The additional bunk is a double on the bottom and a twin on the top.

There is a Valley map on page 2 of the newspaper: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/yg21-3.pdf

The two locations are different, but neither location is better than the other.

Note that Glacier Point Road will be closed in 2022. But you can still drive to Mariposa Grove & Wawona one day (or visit on your entrance or exit day) and you can drive up to Tuolumne Meadows & other Tioga Road attractions for a day. For driving days, I think Yosemite Valley Lodge is probably a 'better' location. Curry Village is tucked back into the eastern end of Yosemite Valley and has more traffic slow-downs.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
28,313 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
9. Re: Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Save

The room that I might consider at Curry Village are the hard sided cabin with private bath. But 2 adults and 3 children (how old?) will be very cramped in that room. I have stayed at those rooms plus the regular rooms at Yosemite Valley Lodge. The YVL rooms are a little bit bigger. If you are able to book 365 days out, go for the bunk rooms or family rooms at YVL. I have a friend with twin girls who book these rooms every year for the past 5-6 years right at the 365 day mark for a week.

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
29 reviews
73 helpful votes
10. Re: Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Save

Not sure if you're thinking of a cabin at Curry with two double bed but those will not be comfortable for five people. Two double debs barely fit four people and then not comfortably. Your best bet is either two connecting rooms at Yosemite Valley Lodge or a Family Bunk Room at Yosemite Valley Lodge.

Reply to: Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.