We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite Park entrance

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
76 posts
Yosemite Park entrance
Save

We are coming from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite National Park, what is the closet entrance from that direction? How many different entrances are there for Yosemite National Park?

10 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,416 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
1. Re: Yosemite Park entrance
Save

There are four entrances to the main Park. My guess is that you'll be choosing to drive Hwy 395 and enter via the Tioga Pass Entrance. Did you get a Day Use Permit to enter on June 9th, or will you be entering on June 10th when you're headed to the Ahwahnee?

Map: http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/yosemite_national_park_overview_map.png

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
28,319 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
2. Re: Yosemite Park entrance
Save

East entrance at Tioga Pass. But only accessible after they clear the snow and that date is variable each summer. When are you coming?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
76 posts
3. Re: Yosemite Park entrance
Save

We got a 3 day pass for June 7-9, then our reservations are for June 10! I didn’t realize that you had to enter park on first day of permit or otherwise it wouldn’t be valid. So now I’m thinking we won’t have as much time at Lake Tahoe (hoping to arrive at Lake Tahoe June 5 or 6 spending the night and sightseeing)then taking our time on to Yosemite! We actually wanted to go to Yosemite June 8, but permits are for 3 days! Any suggestions?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
89,416 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
4. Re: Yosemite Park entrance
Save

You were given outdated information. You can enter on any or all dates of June 7, 8, 9.

Just the 9th would be fine. Just the 8th & 9th would be fine.

The person who shared the erroneous information on the other thread has not read the Yosemite NPS information for 2021.

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Yosemite Park entrance
Save

The closest entry to Yosemite NP is from the east side, on Highway 120 over Tioga Pass.

I believe it's 12 miles to the Tioga Pass park entrance from Highway 395, which is the road down the eastern side of the Sierra from Lake Tahoe.

However, it may be only 12 miles, , but you gain 4000 ft of elevation, up and over the spectacular Tioga Pass. At that entrance, you will still have a 3 hour drive to the Ahwahnee Hotel.

You really won't want to be commuting into and out of the park multiple times because of the drive back down Tioga Pass.

Edited: April 22, 2021, 1:54 pm
Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Yosemite Park entrance
Save

The other 3 entrances are on the west side of the park, about 3-4 hours drive from the Tioga Pass entrance

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
76 posts
7. Re: Yosemite Park entrance
Save

That’s wonderful news, I was getting worried! Thank you so much for clarifying !

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
89,416 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
8. Re: Yosemite Park entrance
Save

This is one reason why I suggested that you post on a destination forum for up-to-date information about that destination.

7 posts
1 review
9. Re: Yosemite Park entrance
Save

I am staying at Yosemite west and I have an annual pass (Inter agency), Do I still need to get day reservation tickets ?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
89,416 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
10. Re: Yosemite Park entrance
Save

Kishore K ~ please start your own thread or read the relevant info on the Day Use Permit thread. Short answer: folks sleeping inside Yosemite's gates do not need a DAY Use Permit as they are not day visitors.

Reply to: Yosemite Park entrance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.