We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariposa Grove

Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
4 reviews
9 helpful votes
Mariposa Grove
Save

Visited Yosemite a few years ago for the first time when the Mariposa Grove area was closed for the rehabilitation project. We went to the Tuolumne Grove so we saw Giant Sequoias but regretted not being able to go to the larger grove. Was thinking about going back to Yosemite late this summer - but have seen that the Mariposa Grove is currently closed because of the winter storm damage. I have tried to search to see if there is a projected opening date anywhere because I don't want to finalize my travel plans until I am sure that the Mariposa Grove will be open when I go this time. Does anyone on here have any idea of whether this is a 1 month clean-up project - or something that is likely to take most of the summer?

Edited: April 20, 2021, 1:33 pm
4 replies to this topic
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
25,674 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Mariposa Grove
Save

There was significant damage to the infrastructure as well as the loss of 15 Sequoia trees , which according to the following article, left 200 million in damages. The area is closed indefinitely. Sorry.

https://www.savetheredwoods.org/blog/the-latest-on-mariposa-grove-post-windstorm/

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,228 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
2. Re: Mariposa Grove
Save

I heard that trail crews were doing some work two or three weeks ago, but I don't know a projected reopening date.

The Mariposa Grove shuttle from the Welcome Plaza (parking) to the Arrival Area (beginning of the Lower Grove) will not operate this year. Hopefully conditions will be safe next year so that the shuttle can transport people up those two miles. This year the message is that they'll have to walk, but of course Mariposa Grove needs to be open.

Note that Glacier Point Road will be closed all of 2022 for road work. (This is a different road but will impact 2022 tourism.)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
200 posts
3. Re: Mariposa Grove
Save

This page refers to Mariposa Grove as opening back up sometime this Spring. Fingers crossed.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/covid19.htm

How do I visit the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias without a shuttle?

Once the Mariposa Grove reopens in spring, parking is available (until full) at the Mariposa Grove Welcome Plaza. Access to Mariposa Grove is via a two-mile hike (each way) on the Washburn Trail or the Mariposa Grove Road (each have approximately 500 feet in elevation gain). Several miles of trails are available in the grove from that point.

You may also bicycle on the paved portion of Mariposa Grove Road to the Grizzly Giant parking area. Bicycles are not allowed on trails, unpaved roads, sidewalks, or boardwalks.

If you have a disability, or are traveling in the same vehicle as a person with a disability, and the vehicle has a disability placard or license plate, you may drive on the Mariposa Grove Road as far as the Grizzly Giant parking area.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,228 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
4. Re: Mariposa Grove
Save

I read that, but I have not seen anything else. Sometimes the Park's planned reopening dates are pushed out very far. (That big restoration of Mariposa Grove begun in 2015 was planned for 18 months, then 24 months, then 32, and finally reopened about 36 months later.)

I'd also like to see something official about the reopening of Bridalveil Fall, supposedly May 2021.

Reply to: Mariposa Grove
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.