We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day passes for 6 day visit

D W
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
50 helpful votes
Day passes for 6 day visit
Save

We are visiting Yosemite May 3-7, 2021 and are a little confused on the timed entry. We have a year round national park pass from last fall where we experienced the timed entry bingo game at RMNP. For Yosemite 2021, is the entry pass a timed entry per day or is it an entry pass for the entire day (to enter at any hour) and good for 3 days? Last year our experience was getting a pass for a 2 hour window to enter RMNP. Am I understanding correctly that the pass is not for a specific timed entry for the day but for any time on that day. For those dates I should hope to get 2 passes that are good for 3 days each? Or do we simply try to get each day one at a time when they come available? Is the "3 day" time only for the park specific pass (again we have a valid $80 annual pass)? Thanks in advance...

13 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,398 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
1. Re: Day passes for 6 day visit
Save

The Day Use Entry permit system begins May 21st. It does not apply to a May 3-7 (5 day) visit.

For anyone lurking on this thread, the permit is valid for any / all of the three days from the first day of the permit. A person with an America the Beautiful federal lands pass pays $2 for the 3 day permit while a Yosemite-only guest pays $35.

D W
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
50 helpful votes
2. Re: Day passes for 6 day visit
Save

Doh, good catch, meant June not May. So the longest reserved daily use pass we could get on our America the Beautiful permit is 3 days? In order to try to reserve another 3 day period we would have to buy another pass. Thanks for the quick reply.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
89,398 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
3. Re: Day passes for 6 day visit
Save

Okay.

Every Day Use Permit is valid just 3 days, whether you have an America the Beautiful Annual Pass or not. It's 3 days. If you plan to drive in to Yosemite for more than 3 days, you need an additional permit. You'd buy another permit for another $2 (do not buy another Annual Pass.)

Buy one that begins June 3rd. Buy another permit that begins June 6th. Each one will be $2, assuming you are lucky in the mad scramble for permits.

Note that if you have overnight reservations inside the Park gates (camping, backpacking, lodging), you do not need a Day Use Permit as you would not be a Day - Only visitor.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
202 posts
4. Re: Day passes for 6 day visit
Save

I'm not actually going until July, but will lurk on the website tomorrow to see how the day pass process works. Any guesses how it works? Do you specify the exact three days that you want and hit the submit button and hope that you get something? Does it say in advance which dates are still available? Is a person who is flexible more likely to get something than someone like me who needs three specific days?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
89,398 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
5. Re: Day passes for 6 day visit
Save

You choose a specific date for the Day Entry Permit. Last year you needed to enter Yosemite on that exact day. This year you can enter Yosemite for the first time on that date, the next day, or the third day. So someone who just wants to visit for one day has more dates that they can choose a permit.

If a visitor wants to be in Yosemite for July 10, 11, & 12, then that visitor must choose a permit that begins on July 10. If a visitor only wants to visit on July 10, then that visitor can choose a permit that begins on July 8 or July 9 or July 10.

"Reservations are taken almost immediately. Be sure to have an account and be logged in and ready to get a reservation promptly at 8 am Pacific time." https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/reservations.htm

My guess is that it's going to be frantic. Folks won't get permits for their preferred dates. The website may go down. Folks will complain.

D W
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
50 helpful votes
6. Re: Day passes for 6 day visit
Save

Thanks again for the prompt and informative replies. I misunderstood the part that mentioned only being able to buy one per day (thinking it meant one pass per date of purchase, not one pass per the day of the reservation). I get that they don't want one person buying multiple passes for let's say June 10th, but wanted to be sure we could buy 2 consecutive 3 day passes to cover our stay. Unfortunately I agree with your last comment, chaos is a certainty when the dates are released but that's the world we're living in I guess.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
89,398 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
7. Re: Day passes for 6 day visit
Save

Since the person who purchased the pass needs to be in the car entering the gate, it would not make sense for one person to buy two passes for the same day. I think some folks missed the part about non-transferrable.

It is possible that Recreation dot gov is not set up to process the purchase of two Day Use Entry permits for different dates in one transaction. You may want to have a second person who is traveling with you set up on their own computer to buy a pass is their name, unless they can log in as 'you' while you are logged in on another computer. Of course you'd want to purchase different dates.

Please report back after your "shopping" so we can learn more about how the experience is really going.

D W
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
50 helpful votes
8. Re: Day passes for 6 day visit
Save

To that point, I am curious if the second purchaser (partner/friend/spouse) would need their own park pass as well. Theoritically they could buy the single park $33-35 pass if needed, definitely worth the piece of mind to ensure you're not driving thousands of miles to lurk around the outside of a NP you've wanted to visit your whole life.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
89,398 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
9. Re: Day passes for 6 day visit
Save

Another good question! I don't know if the ranger who answers questions at the Contact Us on the NPS page would know, or if there is a Contact Us on the Recreation dot gov page.

If you have an American the Beautiful annual pass, there are spaces for two signatures. Would that work for you?

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
39 reviews
67 helpful votes
10. Re: Day passes for 6 day visit
Save

If this is helpful, you can have two day use passes in your cart for checkout. Meaning..one for the first three days and another for the second three days.

Reply to: Day passes for 6 day visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.