We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day trip with young children - mid August?

Los Alamitos...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Save

Hi, I would like some recommendations on lodging. With young kids < 3 yo, where should we stay? Budget less than $500/night.

I’d like to avoid staying outside of the park if possible, but is fine if driving less than 30mins. I just don’t know how hard it would be to get daily passes.

Is it even possible to plan a trip like this?

Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
US
Level Contributor
9,756 posts
1. Re: 3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Save

Stay wherever you can get reservations for in the park, in the valley. If nothing is available then plan for the future. Reservations open a year in advance so you really need to be planning much earlier.

Cancellations are free so people change reservations frequently so you can get lucky by repeatedly trying.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
2. Re: 3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Save

Try checking for cancellations for the Lodges inside the park. Yosemite Valley Lodge, Curry Vilage, etc

TravelYosemite.com

You can also look at vacation rentals inside the park- Wawona, Yosemite West, Foresta.

Mid-week or weekend? Weekends are a lot busier.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
28,295 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
3. Re: 3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Save

It's late. Check Yosemite West, Foresta, Wawona. They are inside park gate so no need for day passes. Scenic Wonders manages a lot of them but bad cancellation policies. There are someon Airbnb with better cancellation policies. Yosemite Falls Lodge if a motel is ok you find opening. Otherwise also look at Yosemite View Lodge at El Portal which is 5 mins from the Arch Rock entrance and 25 mins from the Valley. They have suited with kitchenettes. Would need a day pass

Level Contributor
43,353 posts
994 reviews
1,686 helpful votes
4. Re: 3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Save

Check out Tenaya Lodge in Fish Camp if you can’t get a room in the park. 😎

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
28,295 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
5. Re: 3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Save

I wouldn't stay at Tenaya Lodge with young kids under 3y. It's over an hour to the valley on twisty road. I have a motion sick prone child like me. I would go with more basic lodging at El Portal.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,362 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
6. Re: 3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Save

Hi

The lodging topic in the Top Questions on the right has relevant information. Also read the other topics.

I think it depends on what type of experience you want. You can stay in Wawona and maybe visit the Valley one day, but that's about a 50 minute drive. Maybe swim or wade in the river, if you want that type of mountain experience.

Foresta is about 25-30 minutes to the Valley, but not much around the cabins. If you want to hang out & do things near the cabin, then Wawona is probably "better."

If you stay outside the Park gates, then you need to get one Day Use Permit that is valid for 3 days. I think it may be challenging to get one.

Los Alamitos...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: 3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Save

Thank you for all responses.

We’ve decided to play it by ear. I’ll keep checking for last minute availability through out the summer, from May- august, most likely for weekday trip. Hopefully I’ll find a decent cabin (looking at Yosemite Valley Lodge).

Next question is could you recommend some activities for a couple with young kids?

Thank you.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
89,362 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
8. Re: 3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Save

Hi again

Top Questions topics:

* Trip Reports: What have other travelers done in Yosemite?

* Itinerary Ideas: Former TripLists

* What can I do in Yosemite Valley?

* What can I do along Glacier Point Road?

** What are good activities for families with children?

Also ... Park newspaper: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm

No cabins at the Yosemite Valley Lodge. Those are two story buildings and the rooms are motel-like. The location is excellent.

Los Alamitos...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: 3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Save

Thank you for the tip. I am using TA app, and can’t find the top questions topic.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
89,362 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
10. Re: 3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Save

Top Questions is a feature full of topics. You need to use the full TA website (ye, even on a phone.) Some folks say

"the app is cr___"

I just say it's limited.

You should be able to open the link to the Park newspapers.

Edited: April 21, 2021, 2:26 am
Reply to: 3 day trip with young children - mid August?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.