We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 2021 trip to Yosemite- number of days recommended?

The Cincinnati...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
July 2021 trip to Yosemite- number of days recommended?
Save

Hello,

Last trip to Zion and Brice were epic because of the help I received from TA, so thank you!

starting to work on a plan for Yosemite. Thinking July 4-14, but that’s negotiable. 10 days is the plan, with a jump to San Francisco before/after.

Any recommendations would be helpful on number of days to stay in/around Yosemite. Will be our first time.

If anyone can layout a day/itinerary that would be amazing! Thanks in advance!

3 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,398 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
1. Re: July 2021 trip to Yosemite- number of days recommended?
Save

Hi Tim

Glad you started your own thread.

We have already laid out itineraries, created lists of lodgings, described what to do in each area, collected maps, and everything else. Open the full TripAdvisor website and look to the right at the Top Questions.

Lodging will be the biggest challenge as you're starting so very late. I hope you can find a private rental inside the Park gates so that you won't need to get several 3-day Day Use Permits. See the lodging topic to read about Foresta, Yosemite West, and Wawona.

I can easily spend a week in Yosemite over & over. Some folks are 'done' in just a few days. Some of the Trip Reports in the Top Questions are quick visits and some are longer. Note that there are no shuttles this year. See the "new info for 2021" topic.

Hikers can enjoy so many options in Yosemite. In addition to the ideas here on this forum, also use the NPS website and www.YosemiteHikes.com for your planning.

Maybe add time in the Eastern Sierra that is not Yosemite. Check the Mammoth forum, perhaps.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
10,827 posts
2. Re: July 2021 trip to Yosemite- number of days recommended?
Save

3 days, 4 nights is nice for a summer visit. 1 day for Tuolumne Meadows/Tioga rd. 1 full day for Yosemite Valley. 1/2 day for Glacier Point, other half for Sequoia Grove or more Yosemite Valley.

Finding lodging might be challenging. What are you looking for? Hotel? Vacation rental, budget, mid or high end, etc.

Also post on the California forum for general itinerary help.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
29 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: July 2021 trip to Yosemite- number of days recommended?
Save

I agree with 3 full days.

I encourage you to minimize your time in SF as much as possible (unless you enjoy cities) and focus on Yosemite and Sequoia. Lassen Volcanic NP is a place you have likely never heard of but it is worth visiting. It’s about 6 hours north of YV up near Redding. 30 min north of that is the town of Burney and Burney Falls. Just take a look at Cinder Cone and Kings Creek Falls for example. AllTrails.com is a great resource for hikes.

If it were me, I’d spend 5 full days in Yosemite, 2 or 3 in LVNP, and the rest in SF but I’m biased and don’t like SF at all. Been there too many times and nothing about it interests me. You flying in and out of SFO?

Edited: April 18, 2021, 3:49 am
Reply to: July 2021 trip to Yosemite- number of days recommended?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.