We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally got Half Dome Permits!! Need help planning!

Hartselle, Alabama
Level Contributor
61 posts
Finally got Half Dome Permits!! Need help planning!
Save

After trying for many years, I finally got permits! My permits are on a Wednesday in the summer and my family plans to be in the area Friday-Saturday (8 days). We are very active and want to see as much as possible and do as much as possible. I would like to do Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon. Please help with itinerary suggestions, adventures to do, areas to stay, etc... We live across the country so this may be the only time we are able to experience this area and want to see/do as much as possible. Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,362 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
1. Re: Finally got Half Dome Permits!! Need help planning!
Save

Hi again

This forum is the perfect place to address your Yosemite questions. The overall itinerary is great to plan on your CA state thread.

Start with the lodging topic in the Top Questions on the right. Maybe a condo in Yosemite West would work.

Iron Mountain...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: Finally got Half Dome Permits!! Need help planning!
Save

Congratulations on getting your permits!! A bucket list adventure for sure!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,362 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
3. Re: Finally got Half Dome Permits!! Need help planning!
Save

Hi again

Open the full TripAdvisor website to see the valuable Top Questions. If you can't get something in the Valley, then I really think Yosemite West might be your second best option.

When is your permit "in the summer"?

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
20 reviews
80 helpful votes
4. Re: Finally got Half Dome Permits!! Need help planning!
Save

Plan on an easy day for the day after HD. Climbing and coming back down a staircase a mile high will leave just about everyone sore.

Get some gloves for everyone for the HD cables so you don't shred your hands. There are cheap nitrile gloves at Home Depot, Ace, Walmart etc that will work well and cost only a few bucks a pair.

Reply to: Finally got Half Dome Permits!! Need help planning!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.