We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taft Point - Sentinel Dome loop tips

Elst, The...
7 posts
Taft Point - Sentinel Dome loop tips
Save

If the EU travel ban will be lifted (praying every day cause this would mean Covid is coming to an end!!) we will be end July 2021 with our 4 teens in Curry Village and planning to walk the Taft Point - Sentinel Dome loop trail. We will drive up with our own car. My question is which direction is the best and why? First to Taft Point or better to start with Sentinel Dome?

Thank you!!

6 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
23,697 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Taft Point - Sentinel Dome loop tips
Save

No significant difference.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2. Re: Taft Point - Sentinel Dome loop tips
Save

We're planning on doing the Glacier Point road stuff, including the loop hike, on a Friday in July. In terms of crowds and parking, what time do we need to get there by? I realize this may be different this year than in years prior to 2020.

In terms of grabbing parking spots, should we drive to Glacier Point first and then go back and do the loop hike, or vice versa? Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
203 posts
3. Re: Taft Point - Sentinel Dome loop tips
Save

And following up on my previous post, in terms of busier days and parking availability, would this be a good itinerary order:

Wed: Mist Trail and other Valley highlights

Thurs: Mariposa Grove

Fri: Glacier Point Road including loop trail

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,417 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
4. Re: Taft Point - Sentinel Dome loop tips
Save

Hi Danielle G

I think that the 'better' direction is to do Taft Point first. When you're on the Pohono Trail, you get views of Yosemite Falls and views further into the Valley. Also, my preference is to park at the "secret" shortcut parking. I hope that it is still available this year. Details in the "Glacier Point Road" topic in the Top Questions on the right. Full TripAdvisor Website

I park in the shade in the dirt, then walk across Glacier Point Road. Head up the Service Road just a bit, and look to the left. When you can see the Sentinel Dome Trail nearby, cross the open area of pine needles, go left on the Sentinel Dome trail, and head toward the teeny tiny Sentinel Dome parking lot. Continue to Taft Point.

On your return, come down Sentinel Dome with everyone else and head back toward the Sentinel Dome trailhead. Watch for the service road to veer off to the left.

Obviously it's the same mileage as the loop from the parking lot, but it's hard to get a space in that lot and parking alongside the road or in the 'ditch' is not appealing to me. If you get a good parking place near the trailhead, then do the loop from there.

If you're just hiking Sentinel Dome, then the 'secret' shortcut parking saves steps. The real trail is about 2.2 miles round trip and the shortcut is probably 1.4 or 1.5 miles. The loop is almost 5 miles.

Sentinel Dome info www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d532061

Loop info www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c210794

Glacier Point parking is so annoying (folks block the entrance waiting for a close space rather than continuing to the upper level) so I usually make a brief stop at Washburn Point to see Illilouette Fall, then go on to Glacier Point. Then I drive back to the 'secret' parking for Sentinel Dome.

RandallVA ~ I recommend starting a new thread about arranging your itinerary.

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
20 reviews
80 helpful votes
5. Re: Taft Point - Sentinel Dome loop tips
Save

Keep in mind that doing the loop counter-clockwise (Taft first) means that most of the climbing on this hike will occur in one big push, from the low point at the Sentinel Creek crossing up to the summit of Sentinel Dome, about 800 ft elevation gain in a little over a mile. Whichever direction you go, if you start and end at the same point you will end up with the same total elevation gain (and an equal amount of elevation loss), it's a matter of having the uphills broken into a few segments if you go clockwise or the uphills more concentrated into two segments and mostly into just one of those segments if you go counter-clockwise.

Elst, The...
7 posts
6. Re: Taft Point - Sentinel Dome loop tips
Save

Thank you all, looking forward already to be in Yosemite Park!

Reply to: Taft Point - Sentinel Dome loop tips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.