We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport info

Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
103 reviews
71 helpful votes
Airport info
Save

3 of us are flying in from Philly for a week. What is best idea?

Fly in to which airport,? Rent a car? Do a transport service?

Then 2 will fly back to PHL and 1 to Ft Lauderdale.

10 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
36,945 posts
1. Re: Airport info
Save

Fresno is the closest airport to Yosemite.

Rent a car.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
21,873 posts
127 reviews
69 helpful votes
2. Re: Airport info
Save

Definitely rent a car. Public transportation isn't great in the area and really limits where you can go.

Fresno is the closest airport, but it is also a smaller airport, so might or might not be the best choice. Consider San Jose and Sacramento as well - the flight options may be better. Oakland and SFO are also reasonable choices, although the drive from each of those would be more prone to traffic. Depending on flights, they might be worth it.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,401 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
3. Re: Airport info
Save

Hi

Open the full TripAdvisor website, not the app. Look to the right at the Top Questions. Read about airports; I use FAT and find it to be very convenient. But SMF or OAK would work okay, just a longer drive.

Where have you reserved your lodging?

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Airport info
Save

Sacramento (SMF) is another option

Reno ( RNO) if your trip is between early June and mid- November or Sacramento ( SMF) are also possibilities. There is the additional benefit of a trip along the eastern Sierra if you use Reno

You will need to rent a car

When is your trip for?

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
5. Re: Airport info
Save

Have you reserved lodging yet? If a summer visit, the park can be busy and lodging limited. If you are staying outside Yosemite and the trip is this summer then also read up on the day-use permit reservation system.

At Fresno, most airlines are adding more new flights this summer and Southwest starts service here the end of April. Fares are dropping and choices improving so look to see if it works for your group. If not the trade-off is several more hours of driving time from other airports.

There are no in-park shuttle buses running this year. Renting a car will be the best.

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
20 reviews
80 helpful votes
6. Re: Airport info
Save

I have found that Fresno more likely involves a connecting flight. so by the time you land at a connecting airport and wait for the flight to Fresno then fly to Fresno, you could have just flown straight to SMF or SJC and arrived at Yosemite at the same time or earlier. Flights to Fresno also tend to cost more.

I assume you already have lodging nailed down, because that tends to book up as much as a year in advance.

What time of year is your trip?

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
7. Re: Airport info
Save

>>Flights to Fresno also tend to cost more.<<

JR, it is not boosterism when I say fares at Fresno have been declining. For many destinations FAT is currently similar (or sometimes now lower) than SJC, SMF, etc. Southwest is starting service in two weeks, both AA and UA are starting flights this summer to Chicago, DL is starting flights to SEA to compete with Alaska, etc, There is more competition and the resulting lower fares showing up to many destinations to fill those new seats.

In the past it often was a higher fare to use Fresno for flights (my expense account used to show that). But that fare situation is changing. It depends upon cities, dates, and preferences. But travelers should not assume that Fresno will be more expensive now.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,401 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
8. Re: Airport info
Save

I saw flight prices to FAT decline several years ago. We used to use SMF, but now FAT is well priced and has many options (from SeaTac.)

Everyone should definitely check all the flight options, soon to include Southwest Airlines.

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
20 reviews
80 helpful votes
9. Re: Airport info
Save

Good to know. I was aware pricing from originations on the West Coast were more competitive because of airlines like Alaska that focus on Western routes. If they are also lower now coming from the East that's only good for everyone =)

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
10. Re: Airport info
Save

>>If they are also lower now coming from the East that's only good for everyone =)<<

The larger airports will still have more schedule choices but the difference in fares has been disappearing.

The OP will likely have a connection from PHL to most of the airport choices. I think the only PHL non-stops to the common airports would be to SFO.

Reply to: Airport info
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.