We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Husband Working on Tioga Pass

1 post
Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Save

Hello!

Welcoming any and all suggestions! My husband is doing road work on Tioga Pass this summer, and will need long term accommodations. We have a 1 and 3 year old, and I am hoping to tag along with them for at least a month. We are open to RV (with hook-ups), month to month rentals, airbnb, vrbo, cabin, hotel, motel, etc. I just can't quite figure out the exact location I should be searching... Tuolomne Meadows seems to be the closest, but Groveland seems to be the closest town. How far would his commute be from Groveland to Tioga Pass? Any other ideas, contacts, or referrals?

We have been told the job is a 40 mile stretch on hwy 120 over Tioga Pass so I guess we may need to change locations at a certian point?

TIA for any help!

13 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,398 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
1. Re: Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Save

Hi

Perhaps somewhere in the Eastern Sierra would be a better location, but I don't have any specific RV Park or Vacation Rental suggestions. Look at the Lee Vining area. The options on the western side of the Park are likely to be busier, more expensive, and more crowded. But I suppose something in Buck Meadows or Groveland might work.

Note that it is Tuolumne (two u's) "too ALL um ee" or "too AHL um nee"

Google maps works pretty well, as long as you change the travel date to summer AND you use exact locations AND you don't travel at times when there is traffic.

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,033 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Save

Does he have to have access to the east or the west end of Highway 120? I ask because it's going to be more than a 2 hour drive each way from Groveland to Tioga Pass.

Lee Vining is is 8 miles to Tioga Pass and s would be better than Groveland. It has an RV park and several motels. There is a lot of competition for summer worker housing in the summer, so your chances at an airbnb is not great

Would the park allow you to stay at Tuolumne Meadows campground?

Only thing is I'd worry about a toddler in the Lee Vining RV park because it's close to Highway 395 which has a lot more traffic in the summer.

Tuolumne Meadows camground also has two large creeks nearby which worry me if a 3 year old got loose.

Other considerations might be June Lakes, Mammoth, or Bridgeport

Edited: April 08, 2021, 3:14 am
Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,033 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Save

Also check this out:

https://www.monocounty.org/where-to-stay/campgrounds/

There are several lovely campgrounds along Lee Vining creek. No hookups, but lovely places

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,033 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Save

Mono Vista RV park is the one in Lee Vining, closest to Tioga Pass.

If he can get a reservation there he should take it.

Lee Vining is a very pleasant little place with some lovely people that live there

https://monovistarvpark.net/

Edited: April 08, 2021, 3:45 am
Bishop, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
40 reviews
19 helpful votes
5. Re: Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Save

I think you would like Lee Vining. You can also look at June Lake. The nearest groceries in the area are in Mammoth Lakes, but that would be too far for your husband to commute. Bridgeport is also too far and there is nothing there. If you want to camp, make your reservation soon. The area is mostly sold out in the summer.

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,033 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Save

The Mono Market in Lee Vining has a good stock of fresh product and meats and ICE CREAM!

The Mobil M market has a big supply of snacks and drinks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
20,935 posts
58 reviews
145 helpful votes
7. Re: Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Save

Lee Vining is a pleasant, very small town. If you're living there for an extended time and will have free time, there are plenty of outdoor experiences to enjoy. Mono Lake is one of California's truly great natural wonders, and the ghost town of Bodie is also nearby.

Town amenities are limited (small market, no brick and mortar bank, a couple of churches, no "general merchandise" store - but all those are available in Mammoth Lakes). No other real town is close; Bishop is about an hour away and has city stuff like the DMV, supermarkets, and even new car dealerships.

What a great opportunity, to get to work on Tioga Pass. It's a beautiful area with grand surroundings and fresh air unless we get a nasty wildfire season, and plenty of outdoor leisure activities for days off. I hope you and/or he will be bringing a car to use for running around or exploring so the RV can stay put.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
59,912 posts
8,639 reviews
3,999 helpful votes
8. Re: Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Save

While lee vining is close to tioga pass, its not the best for an extended stay. There is noise all night long from semi trucks as its on busy 395. There is also not much to do.

I would suggest staying on June Lake Loop. They h ave lots of rentals with kitchens,, etc. There is also more to do with four lakes and Rush Creek. There are stores, etc. Mammoth Lakes however is the largest city in the area about 1/2 hour drive from June Lake Vons is the best grocery in the area.

Call June Lake Vacation Rentals for more info. they will also know the Lee Vining area.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
5,991 posts
123 reviews
72 helpful votes
9. Re: Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Save

I had been thinking about staying in Mammoth Lakes. The size of the town is decent so they have a lot of amenities, including a good supermarket. It’s cooler because it’s at altitude. My main thought was that there are a lot of winter vacation rentals, that are relatively cheap during the summer. My big concern though is the husband’s daily commute to work. Mammoth Lakes is further away and that drive between Lee Vining and the Tuolomne Meadows entrance to Yosemite requires concentration.

Lee Vining is pretty small and I would not want to be there for a long period.

Does the National Park Service have suggestions for where the workers should stay? I imagine that the job site will be migrating and any town on either side of the Sierra will become inconvenient.

Let us know where you end up. It’s an interesting question.

Edited: April 11, 2021, 6:01 pm
Devore Heights...
Level Contributor
120 posts
10. Re: Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Save

Previous posters have given some great and accurate information and suggestions. Lee Vining is the closest but it is a really small town and hotels/lodging are pretty limited. June lake loop is next and would have some more lodging but only has a small mini mart type store, no regular grocery store. Mammoth area would be the closest city with the most housing options, there are a lot of condos to rent, along with hotels and such. Mammoth has two grocery stores (Grocery outlet and Vons/safeway). Since it is longer term, Mammoth also has a few more amenities for your kids such as a library and a really nice park with playground structure (Mammoth creek park). If you are open to camping, there really are a lot of options in the area. I will say if you chose this option you should book now because things generally fill up incredibly fast. as a mom with kids, I can say that camping in the sierras can be challenging at times. It can be quite cool at night. Also if you are near a lake, wind is present almost every afternoon/evening and when my kids were smaller it made them miserable. We did it once and have stayed in condos or cabins ever since lol. I hope you make many great memories with your family this summer in the Eastern Sierras, it is beautiful place! Good luck choosing your summer home :-)

Reply to: Husband Working on Tioga Pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.