We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
96 reviews
34 helpful votes
Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Save

Hello

following up on a similar thread (from a different Cal forum) I'm trying to build an itinerary around SF, Monterey, and Yosemite/Sequoia

we're looking for a place to spend the weekend at the end of June (couple + 2 kids) and right now its between SF and the parks area

we need a good spacious hotel (budget around or under 200$ a night) with an area that can be nice to walk around and enjoy sites, view, trail or something of that type

right now planning to travel from SF on friday, do a short visit to Sequoia than find a place to stay a couple of nights until sunday morning when we'll be going up to Yosemite (and staying in the Oakhurst area)

any place in the general parks area that would have good hotels and a nice area to stay for the weekend?

thanks!

26 replies to this topic
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
1. Re: Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Save

I am sorry to be the party pooper here. Your expectations for what you can get for $200 for 4 people in the middle of summer in California is unrealistic. The best place to stay is in the Valley at the Lodge. Will be closer to $300 and no AC. You won't need AC in Monterey in June but maybe in Yosemite but the Lodge does not have it. Having said that, you want to be in the Valley for easy access. Do NOT stay at Oakhurst just because you found an AC hotel for $200. It is over 1 hr on a twisty road to the Valley.

I doubt you will find a room in the Valley anyways as folks book 12 months in advance. You might find something at El Portal at Yosemite View lodge for about $300. Seeing your expectation from other posts, you will probably think it is too run down or basic for you but the location short of being in the valley itself will be the optimal.

Edited: April 03, 2021, 12:51 am
Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,032 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Save

You say you are heading to Oakhurst, are you asking for a hotel in Oakhurstbor inside the park.?

There are no hotel accommodations in the immediate Yosemite Valley location with the walking trails that are in the $200 range.

You are also highly unlikely to find a weekend reservation inside the park as this is going to be a hugely busy season.

It would be beneficial for you to review the FAQ on staying in Yosemite. It's on the right hand side of the page when using the full site, but doesn't appear if you are using a phone app

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
3. Re: Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Save

I don't remember if it was you or something else. But going all the way to Sequoia for one day is a lot of driving. You can go from SF to Calevaras Big Trees State Park to see the Sequoia on your way to Yosemite. I have had friends who did this as a same day side trip on the way to Yosemite.

Yosemite View Lodge over the last weekend of June has a 2 queens room for $229. That is probably your best bet for price point and easy access to the Valley. 5 mins to the Arch Rock entrance and 25 mins to the Valley.

https://www.yosemiteresorts.com/yosemite-view-lodge/

Edited: April 03, 2021, 1:10 am
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
4. Re: Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Save

Calaveras SP information:

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=551

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
30,509 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Save

OP has a thread on the Monterey forum asking essentially the same question, with lots of answers.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
96 reviews
34 helpful votes
6. Re: Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Save

i'll try to clarify

i'm looking for a place in the general area outside the parks

could be anywhere from Mariposa, Oakhurst or even down towards Fresno as long as its got good hotel, price and something to do around the hotel

to use an example we stayed for a weekend in Calabasas on our trip to LA as a way to get out of the hustle and bustle and enjoy some quiet time with plenty to see and do/eat within walking distance

as i've stated i did open this after a very helpful thread on the Monterey forum, but there was no suggestions there for the area i mentioned, only for Monterey and SF

thanks again :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
96 reviews
34 helpful votes
7. Re: Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Save

@chinita415 thanks for the lodge recommendation

i totally missed that since i filter only 4 and up on TA, but after reading the reviews it does seem like a very nice place and not too dated :)

much closer/easier than Oakhurst for sure

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
8. Re: Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Save

Don't filter with 4 stars. You won't get anything you need. Don't stay 2+ hours away from the valley. Book the Yosemite View Lodge now. They have a nominal $15 cancellation policy. If you get a river view, even better. We like having the kitchenette available.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
21,872 posts
127 reviews
69 helpful votes
9. Re: Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Save

We have some family members who have a cabin outside of Oakhurst that we have used for visits to Yosemite. It is an ok location because the price is right (free), but it is a long drive to anything in Yosemite other that the things in the south end of the park. It's about 30 minutes to the park boundary, then another hour or so to Yosemite Valley. So if you choose Oakhurst, be prepared for the driving.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
96 reviews
34 helpful votes
10. Re: Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Save

thanks for the tips - saving on the drive is definitley worth it. hope the river view is worth the extra $$ :)

still contemplating on where to be on the weekend though...

Reply to: Hotel with walkable attractions/nature in the area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.