We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest Hikes

Media, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
2 helpful votes
Easiest Hikes
Save

Hi There! I know you guys will know the answers. Because I am healing from a sprained ankle, I do need easier hikes at Yosemite that won't be too rocky for stability for my ankle. I don't want to miss out on seeing the top destinations at the park. Would you be able to advise on the easier shorter hikes?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
20,941 posts
58 reviews
145 helpful votes
1. Re: Easiest Hikes
Save

In the Valley itself, I'd say Happy Isles/Mirror Lake and Lower Yosemite Falls.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
2. Re: Easiest Hikes
Save

Agree with Frisco. Visited Yosemite last week with my wife who had a knee brace on for the trip. The valley floor hikes are all flat and very scenic. Walking to the lower Yosemite Falls is easy except for the last 200m (but still easily walkable). Walk the bike path from Ahwahnee/Curry Village to Mirror Lake. Any hikes up the sides of the valley walls are rocky and steep. The hike around Hetch Hetchy is also flat; this is about 45 minutes north of the valley.

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Easiest Hikes
Save

When will you be visiting Yosemite?

The Tuolumne Meadows areahas several suitable hikes, but the road won't be open until late May

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
20 reviews
80 helpful votes
4. Re: Easiest Hikes
Save

Check out yosemitehikes.com, good info on each of the major dayhike trails in the park. Also check out this page from the park's official website, has a video about easy hikes: https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photosmultimedia/easyvalleyhikes.htm

When are you going? If before about mid-May then concentrate on Yosemite Valley and possibly Wawona in Southern Yosemite and Hetch Hetchy areas, other areas are closed for the winter. If you're coming after mid-May you can consider Glacier Point Rd and Tioga Rd options, depending when they actually open, which varies year to year.

Also check the park's website for info on particular trails that may be closed for maintenance.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,414 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
5. Re: Easiest Hikes
Save

I prefer the Valley Loop Trail from the Ahwahnee to Mirror lake/Meadow, but the bike path is definitely flatter.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
16 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: Easiest Hikes
Save

If you go to Wawona, you can wander around the pioneer village, and you can walk across the road, going opposite the hotel and through the golf course. Then on the left is a gate that closes off the original road to vehicles. It's a lovely walk around the meadow. You can go all the way around or just turn back.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
124 reviews
126 helpful votes
7. Re: Easiest Hikes
Save

Any part of the Valley Loop trail, from anyplace you can reach it is grand.

It's probably not worth it to try things like Swinging Bridge (you can get similar views elsewhere). Go to the Ahwahnee Meadow area, find parking, and just look around. Walk a little. It's amazing.

Or El Cap meadow - again, amazing (take binoculars - there will almost certainly be climbers).

Wawona is so pretty and has a wild feeling within a few 10ths of a mile from your car.

Reply to: Easiest Hikes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.