We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Campgrounds outside Yosemite

8 posts
Best Campgrounds outside Yosemite
Save

Hello,

I will be visiting Yosemite June 6-8 and am trying to decide what campground would be best for my Camper Van. The RV parks in Yosemite are booked but I would like to stay in a park as close to Yosemite Valley as possible. I will be driving up from Sequoia. Thank you for the advice.

Yosemite High Sierra Camps
Yosemite High Sierra Camps
#1 of 25 Specialty lodging in Yosemite National Park
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge
#2 of 25 Specialty lodging in Yosemite National Park
Yosemite Lakes RV Resort
Yosemite Lakes RV Resort
#2 of 17 Specialty lodging in Groveland
1 reply
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,425 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
1. Re: Best Campgrounds outside Yosemite
Save

Hi

To be clear, there are no RV Parks in Yosemite. There are only NPS campgrounds. No services. And my guess is that all campsites were booked within seconds of becoming available.

The closest camping that is out of the Park but nearest to Yosemite Valley would be on Hwy 140 around El Portal. See this website: http://jrabold.net/yosemite/campn.shtml I have no comment about which one might be "best."

If that's where you end up staying, you might drive into Yosemite NP on Hwy 41 via the South Entrance and visit Glacier Point area attractions on your arrival day. Then drive down, stop briefly at Tunnel View (your parking is on the RIGHT), continue into the western end of the Valley. then leave. On your full Valley days, drive in and park in a good location each day. Plan to walk or ride a bike to get around.

Reply to: Best Campgrounds outside Yosemite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.