We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow play in/near Yosemite Valley

bay area
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Snow play in/near Yosemite Valley
Save

We will be at Yosemite Valley Park April 4-7 and we know that Badger pass ski area will be closed, but wanted to ask if there are any snow play areas in/near the Valley? Can we go to Badger Pass or Goat Meadow Trailhead to sled, hike around? Are there anywhere we can just pull over and sled, hike in the snow? Is there still snow in the area? Thanks so much for any info!

4 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,398 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
1. Re: Snow play in/near Yosemite Valley
Save

I read this from the NPS: "Badger Pass will remain open to visitor access until 5pm, Sunday April 4th. The gate at Chinquapin will be closed and locked at that time." So if you can make it up Glacier Point Road to Badger Pass on the afternoon of the 4th, that may be an option. I think it's really just for folks on cross country skis or snowshoes, not for snow play.

Weather map: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weathermap.htm

There might possibly be some snow falling at higher elevations. I don't know if the traditional spots are open this year as it's hard to get folks to be socially distant if they're all playing on the same hill. Fish Camp is indeed higher elevation than Yosemite Valley, but it's an hour away.

Note that most folks seem to use saucers or plastic toboggans rather than sleds.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
2. Re: Snow play in/near Yosemite Valley
Save

Badger Pass has been more of a snow play area this season with the skiing closed. But it is currently scheduled to close on April 4.

Crane Flat Campground usually becomes a snow play area in winter. But I have not checked the status this year.

Off Highway 41 on a side road between the south entrance and Fish Camp is Goat Meadow Snow Play area. But parts of the road are unpaved and I would not recommend it unless you are driving a good winter vehicle.

bay area
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Snow play in/near Yosemite Valley
Save

Thank you for all the info!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
4. Re: Snow play in/near Yosemite Valley
Save

Returned from Yosemite last weekend. There was snow at the higher elevations; we hiked around the giant sequoias at Crane flat in 3' of snow. Plenty to play with in that area. Unless you are a serious hiker, it's a challenge to get to these elevations hiking up the valley walls. People were driving up to Badger Pass to play in the snow, maybe you can make it up there on Sunday.

Reply to: Snow play in/near Yosemite Valley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.