We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking on a weekend in May

Elk Grove...
Level Contributor
70 posts
78 reviews
55 helpful votes
Parking on a weekend in May
Save

Hi there. We are visiting the park the second weekend in May. We’re staying in Groveland at Yosemite Lakes RV resort. It’s our first time not camping in the valley unfortunately. We have a Friday and Saturday. Our plan is to do the valley on Friday and then Hetch Hetchy on Saturday. Parking is my worry. What time should we enter the park to get parking in the valley on a Friday? I know once we enter the park we still have a bit of a drive to our destination but I’m just trying to figure out wake up and departure times for our group. Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,429 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
1. Re: Parking on a weekend in May
Save

Hi

I assume you know that the Valley shuttles are not currently running. We don't know about May. If you're trying to move your car during the day, you may not find parking again.

I don't know what tourism will look like this year, but it appears that many folks are planning a domestic tourism vacation rather than international. Maybe the parking lots will fill by 9 am? 10 am? If this were my trip, I'd be parked and ready to hike by 8:30 at the latest.

there are many tips in the Top questions on the right side of this page. Full TripAdvisor Website .. not the app Read about Giant Sequoia tourism and consider adding either small Merced Grove or medium-sized Tuolumne Grove to your Saturday tourism. And in the Hetch Hetchy area, watch for rattlesnakes and for poison oak.

Elk Grove...
Level Contributor
70 posts
78 reviews
55 helpful votes
2. Re: Parking on a weekend in May
Save

Thanks! We’re planning on parking and leaving it for the day. No way are we looking for parking a second time. Well use our bikes to get around which is what we do when we camp in the valley. Im thinking if we leave our campground by 7:00 we should be ok then. It’s gonna be different staying outside the park but I’m hopeful we’ll still have a good trip.

Reply to: Parking on a weekend in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.