We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Sierra Loop Trail in mid-July

Level Contributor
21 posts
High Sierra Loop Trail in mid-July
Save

Hi,

I’m planning to do the High Sierra Loop on 7/11. I’ve never been to this area before so not sure about the weather conditions in mid July. I want to see the waterfalls in Glen Aulin but my biggest concern is angry river crossing and snow. I know the waterfall will be completely dry by August but it also depends on the snowpack level of this winter. I appreciate any advices.

Regards

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
23,686 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: High Sierra Loop Trail in mid-July
Save

By mid July, won't be any snow left. Especially that this year has been a dry year. No worry about snow.

RE: "angry river" - you don't cross the Tuolumne River near Glen Aulin by submerging in water. It is dangerous in any season. There are foot bridges for the trails. Check with the rangers at Yosemite Park (call them) on the trail condition. They also post general information on the park's website. Last year some bridges were closed.

Generally, July weather - warm during the day. Around 60's - 70's. Cool/cold at night, can be 50's, 40's. Generally no snow, but at Tuloumne Meadows often there are short-lived thunderstorms (rain or hails sometimes) in the afternoon. If you see clouds looming in the morning, it is likely that there will be a rolling thunderstorm/rain that afternoon. Early/mid July, can have lots of mosquitoes.

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
20 reviews
80 helpful votes
2. Re: High Sierra Loop Trail in mid-July
Save

Bamboo, interesting that you are concerned with both "angry" rivers and dry waterfalls.

The big waterfalls on the way to and in Glen Aulin are on the Tuolumne River which flows year-round, so they won't be completely dry.

If you are doing the entire loop around all the High Sierra Camps then *most* of the water crossings are bridged, but not all. Crossing the Tuolumne River at Glen Aulin is bridged, but to get to the High Sierra Camp you have to cross Conness Creek, that bridge was washed out a couple of years ago and I don't believe it has been rebuilt yet. You would have to contend with the Tenaya Lake outlet. I believe the crossing of Fletcher Creek near Emeric Lake on the way to or from Vogelsang does not have a bridge. Those are the major ones I can think of. In addition, there are various small creeks to be crossed that could be flowing, possibly strongly.

In all cases the conditions of the water crossings will depend on the snowmelt from the winter plus any weather during or just before your trip. The snowpack so far this year is below average, but it's still too early to predict what conditions will be in July. If you find yourself at a water crossing that appears to have the potential to be dangerous and/or to be beyond your abilities, turn around -- whatever is on the other side of that water is not worth the risk.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
12,190 posts
74 reviews
79 helpful votes
3. Re: High Sierra Loop Trail in mid-July
Save

Congratulations on winning the lottery! I assume you are going self-guided, not with the ranger -guided group. Which direction are you doing the loop? Is Glen Aulin your first camp?

Level Contributor
21 posts
4. Re: High Sierra Loop Trail in mid-July
Save

This is great. Thank you for the advice :)

Level Contributor
21 posts
5. Re: High Sierra Loop Trail in mid-July
Save

Thanks, JRin. I have never been to this area of Yosemite in mid July so I am not sure if I'm should be concerned about the "angry river" or "dry waterfalls" hahah

Level Contributor
21 posts
6. Re: High Sierra Loop Trail in mid-July
Save

Hi Enzian,

I actually did not apply for the lottery. I only applied for the wilderness permit for 6 days doing the loop. I'm planning to do the counter-clockwise, and yes Glen Aulin will be my first night :)

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
20 reviews
80 helpful votes
7. Re: High Sierra Loop Trail in mid-July
Save

So you're backpacking? I assume you have the proper experience, all the needed gear, and are familiar with the regulations about where you can and cannot camp, fire restrictions, need to carry an approved bear canister, must pack out all trash including used toilet paper, etc.

8. Re: High Sierra Loop Trail in mid-July

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: March 04, 2021, 1:41 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.