We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF to Yosemite to LA

Amsterdam, The...
3 posts
1 review
SF to Yosemite to LA
Save

Hallo,

I am planning to go from San Francisco to Yosemite and than want to drive in 2 days with some nice stops to LA. What is a nice route to take?

greetings Kim

San Diego...
Level Contributor
14,578 posts
344 reviews
99 helpful votes
1. Re: SF to Yosemite to LA
Save

Just clarifying that two days means one overnight.

In that case, I would get to San Luis Obispo County, overnighting in Pismo Beach. Next day, stay on Highway 101 through Santa Barbara to LA.

The Central Valley path down I-5 is fast but boring but can be accomplished with no overnight.

Either way, you will encounter the monster known as Los Angeles area traffic.

Level Contributor
11,392 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: SF to Yosemite to LA
Save

The usual way would be to go from Yosemite to Monterey then south on Hwy 1 through Big Sur. But that needs 2 overnights: Monterey and Pismo.

If you only have one night, I’d drive direct to LA because the drive from Pismo to LA doesn’t have much coastal frontage.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,401 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
3. Re: SF to Yosemite to LA
Save

Hi Kim

This is the Yosemite forum so all topics are Yosemite. Just stay in Yosemite. :)

But seriously, if you want feedback for a general itinerary in California, use the state forum. There are some helpful tips in the Top Questions on the right side of the CA page. The Top Questions here are about Yosemite. These valuable topics are only visible on the full TripAdvisor website, not the app.

Where are you staying? When are you visiting? Are you staying long enough to enjoy various areas of the National Park?

Amsterdam, The...
3 posts
1 review
4. Re: SF to Yosemite to LA
Save

Sorry i think i wasnt clear in my question.

I want to drive from SF to Yosemite on 14 march i need to be in Los Angeles in the evening of 16th. So i was wondering what are nice places to stay and see, and what is the most beautiful route?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
14,578 posts
344 reviews
99 helpful votes
5. Re: SF to Yosemite to LA
Save

If that is your timing, you should spend the nights of the 14th and 15th in Yosemite. Then depart early on the 16th and take I-5 all the way to Los Angeles. Ugly, boring routing, but you will have had two nights in a beautiful National Park.

Hope you have reservations.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
14,578 posts
344 reviews
99 helpful votes
6. Re: SF to Yosemite to LA
Save

And if you don’t have Yosemite reservations.....abandon Yosemite.

Instead on the 14th drive to and overnight in Monterey/Carmel. On the 15th, drive through Big Sur, and overnight in Cambria/Morro Bay/Pismo Beach or similar place in San Luis Obispo County. Depart early on the 16th on 101 through Santa Barbara for Los Angeles.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
89,401 posts
188 reviews
151 helpful votes
7. Re: SF to Yosemite to LA
Save

This is the Yosemite forum, so I'll assume you want to visit Yosemite. :)

Saturday, 14 March

Leave SF. Drive directly to Yosemite via Hwy 140 / Arch Rock Entrance along the Merced River. Park in the Valley Visitor Parking lot. Use the free shuttle to get around.

Drive to your lodging, unless you were incredibly lucky and found lodging in Yosemite Valley. That's the first topic in the Top Questions.

Sun, 15 Mar

All day tourism in Yosemite Valley. Enjoy! See those Top Questions.

Mon, 16 Mar

Drive to Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, assuming that you are okay with a longer hike or walk. The shuttle won't be running. Walk 2 miles up the road, seeing some Big Trees along the way. Then walk 0.8 mile to the Grizzly Giant. Walk back.

Exit via the South Entrance and drive down Hwy 41 to Hwy 99 to Interstate 5.

Alternate plan.... visit Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias during your time in Yosemite. It's higher elevation so will be cooler. There may be snow on the ground. But it's "only" 2.5 miles round trip for the walk down into the grove and back up.

Top Questions on the right (full TA website not the app) and the NPS website will be good resources for you.

Amsterdam, The...
3 posts
1 review
8. Re: SF to Yosemite to LA
Save

thanks!!

9. Re: SF to Yosemite to LA

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: February 20, 2021, 1:41 pm
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.