We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Yellowstone Sept 2021 or wait until 2022

12 posts
Visit Yellowstone Sept 2021 or wait until 2022
Save

Have reservations in park for one day Grant Village, 2 days Old Faithful Snow lodge for Sept. 2 to 5. Question is with Covid, road closure better to cancel go in 2022 or come as planned. Thanks for answers, I know it is a judgment call but u guys are great advice givers.

7 replies to this topic
Georgia
Level Contributor
33,489 posts
77 reviews
58 helpful votes
1. Re: Visit Yellowstone Sept 2021 or wait until 2022
Save

I would go.

But I also went in October 2020 and am returning this summer. I spend more time in the Tetons than Yellowstone though. Food and some services are limited in Yellowstone for Phase 1 of 2021. If you want to go when everything is back to "normal" then waiting for 2022 may be the best option for you.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
12,690 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Visit Yellowstone Sept 2021 or wait until 2022
Save

>>>Question is with Covid, road closure better to cancel go in 2022 or come as planned. <<<

Just a FYI......there is always road construction and some type of road closure "impact" whether its a full closure, night closures, or delays waiting for a pilot car to take you through a construction zone in Yellowstone Park every year.

This year's closure of the Canyon to Tower/Roosevelt Junction over Dunraven Pass has affected the ability to make a complete upper loop drive, but it hasn't affected the ability to get to/from Lamar Valley from the lower loop. It just requires a detour if you're driving up from the east side of the park.

The Canyon to Tower/Roosevelt road construction project is projected to be completed this fall with the opening of the road occurring in May 2022 when that road typically opens. I am looking forward to that date as I use that road a lot to go back and forth between Lamar Valley and Hayden Valley. It's also a very beautiful drive.

That being said, there are two other huge road construction projects in the wings. One is to totally redo the Yellowstone River Bridge and Yellowstone River Picnic Area just east of Roosevelt. The other is to completely redo the Lewis River Bridge near the south entrance. The Federal Highway Administration Projects website has the Lewis River Bridge Project projected for Summer 2022 and 2023. The Yellowstone River Bridge isn't on the projects website yet.

So the gist of my post is "don't postpone just because of a road closure because there will always be some type of road closure/construction in the park". The nice thing about road closures is they typically do not impact your ability to see the iconic physical attractions. A few years ago, the park service was redoing different overlooks and parking lots on both the North and South Rim Drives in the Canyon area. The overlooks were off-limits for a couple of years. I felt really bad for people making once- in-a-lifetime visits to Yellowstone during that time as they were unable to see those iconic views.

I visited Yellowstone Park 15 times last year and while I'm not the typical tourist, the road closure didn't not "impact" my experience that much.

Deb

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Senior Travel
Level Contributor
34,441 posts
108 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: Visit Yellowstone Sept 2021 or wait until 2022
Save

The road closure is minor. There is always Road work in Yellowstone. The same road segment was closed last year and again about 10 years before when they worked on another area on this road. Based on your overnights and short time frame this road closure won’t impact you. In your other thread you indicated you wanted to avoid mountain driving and the part where the closure is is the most mountainous in the park. It’s not bad but it might bother you if it were open.

I travel with a cooler and eat a lot of meals out of it so the dining situation doesn’t impact me all that much. I hate to take the time to leave something interesting to go find food!! By evening I’m pooped from a long day and just want a hot shower and my bed so evening dining doesn’t hold a lot of allure. I know others travel differently.

To me the last year has emphasized the need to “carpe diem”. One never knows what the world situation will be in a year or what our own personal health situation will be. Your other thread indicated you are in your upper 70’s. Time’s a-wasting!

Enjoy your visit!

Editing to add: Deb is faster than me this morning!!

Pam

Edited: May 03, 2021, 8:18 pm
Boston...
Level Contributor
843 posts
4. Re: Visit Yellowstone Sept 2021 or wait until 2022
Save

I wouldn't change anything and would still go! Lets hope things are much better by Sept anyway!

Have you considered changing your Grant to 1 night in Gardiner? I would want to be near Mammoth in September to see the elk and go out to Lamar valley 1 day to look for wildlife. With your 2 nights at OF, you can see the lower loop. Just my thought...its your trip!

12 posts
5. Re: Visit Yellowstone Sept 2021 or wait until 2022
Save

To all of you who respond here on this site, a big thank you. Your sharing of knowledge and good advice is just a wonderful thing. Your answers to my question have sealed the deal for me and removed any hesitation, I am going as planned. Excellent advice from real people who take time to share their life knowledge . Thanks to all of you. Just wonderful and now I feel better for sure.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Senior Travel
Level Contributor
34,441 posts
108 reviews
43 helpful votes
6. Re: Visit Yellowstone Sept 2021 or wait until 2022
Save

Gosh, thank you for the kind words. You can tell that we all love the parks and want everyone to get enjoyment out of them.

We'd love for you to do a Trip Report when you get back. I suspect you might be a note-taker anyway, lol. It can be short or long, detailed or general, anything that works for you. We'd love to know what you enjoyed and what you'd do differently next time!

Pam

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
156 posts
93 reviews
50 helpful votes
7. Re: Visit Yellowstone Sept 2021 or wait until 2022
Save

I cancelled from 2020 and while I am glad we didn’t go last year, I feel like we could keep coming up with reasons to delay. We’ve had to make plans, change plans, change plans again. At the end of the day, we decided the stuff we can do outweighs the cons

Reply to: Visit Yellowstone Sept 2021 or wait until 2022
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.