We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow tubing for little kids

crekha
Level Contributor
28 posts
Snow tubing for little kids

Hello,

I posted this in the Taos forum, but since I can drive to a reasonable distance from Santa Fe, thought of posting here..

Are are driving from Texas for Christmas and planning to stay in Santa Fe and Taos. My husband and older son will be skiing, my younger one want to go snow tubing. We have taken him snow tubing for the past couple of years in NY and Seattle without any issue with height restrictions etc, but when I see the NM places offering tubing, they mention 42" as the minimum height. He is only around 36 to 38". Can anyone suggest some options for us?

thanks!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,540 posts
64 reviews
87 helpful votes
1. Re: Snow tubing for little kids

There is no tubing at the Santa Fe ski area. Nearby is Hyde Memorial State Park which has a sledding area if there is enough snow. Taos I think has a tubing area as does Angel Fire (with the 42" limit) and Red River

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
263 posts
33 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Snow tubing for little kids

The Sandias has a tubing area; one for beginners and another for the more advanced. The area is on the route going up to the ski area and both tubing runs are next to each other.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,540 posts
64 reviews
87 helpful votes
3. Re: Snow tubing for little kids

Last I heard the snow play area up toward the Sandia Ski Area has been closed for a number of years. It was quite fun years ago.

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Snow tubing for little kids

Casa, I think they're trying to get volunteer chaperones lined up to re-open the Capulin (Sandia) snow play area this year. Was in the Journal, I think.

When there is enough snow, unofficial areas like Big Tesuque Campground off the road to Ski Santa Fe become short sledding runs for the little kids. It's at your own risk, BYO sled, though.

Edited: December 13, 2014, 10:29 am
Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
11,405 posts
871 reviews
1,496 helpful votes
5. Re: Snow tubing for little kids

Sandia is supposed to open around the 20th but of course that is snow dependent! Also the availability of safety chaperones. Below is a link that is quite informative. If the link doesn't work cut and paste the address.

Snow Tubing - New Mexico Kids! - Publication Calendar

newmexico-kids.com/articles/snow-tubing.html

Where to Find New Mexico Kids! ... If you are not going to a designated snow tubing area, choose your run wisely. ... Hyde State Park (Santa Fe, 983-7175)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,540 posts
64 reviews
87 helpful votes
6. Re: Snow tubing for little kids

I checked the Journal and the volunteers are going to help open the snow play area for 2 weekends this winter. Jan. 17-18 and Feb. 14-15.

The chance of Sandia Peak Ski area opening Dec 20th is slim unless we get snow. I can see the runs from my house and not much snow up there!

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,405 posts
871 reviews
1,496 helpful votes
7. Re: Snow tubing for little kids

I just received this from the Sandia people:

Sandia Peak Ski Area does not have tubing runs.

Debi Owen

Sandia Peak Tram / Sandia Peak Ski / Ski Santa Fe

debio@sandiapeak.com

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
8. Re: Snow tubing for little kids

MaryEllenM27, that is correct--no tubing within Sandia, Santa Fe, Pajarito or Taos ski area boundaries. However, Capulin snow play area is very near Sandia (so sometimes is called "Sandia"). They operate independently, but if there's not enough snow for Sandia then there's probably not enough for Capulin.

Edited: December 17, 2014, 1:24 pm
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,540 posts
64 reviews
87 helpful votes
9. Re: Snow tubing for little kids

Capulin Snow Play area is not open now and probably only a few days this year by volunteers.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,405 posts
871 reviews
1,496 helpful votes
10. Re: Snow tubing for little kids

Perhaps Crekha has decided not to some to NM! We have not heard from him/her since the original post. After all we certainly have had very little snow so far. IN the mean time all of us forum contributors have learned quite a lot about snow tubing from each other and the various links provided by all.

Crekha, we hope you get a White Christmas for the whole family…skiing for the older family members and some tubing for the youngest...wherever you do end up! At the moment the Colorado Mountains look more promising.

Happy Holidays to all!