We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry into Turkey

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Entry into Turkey

My Husband has done our Visas, all done correctly, we cannot see a option to print, but it is on his phone, will they accept this, or do we have to have a hard copy ? thank you.

43 replies to this topic
Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,434 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entry into Turkey

Congrats on doing your visas correctly! But you should have a paper copy that you need to carry with you at all times along with your passport when out and about in Turkey. It is a legal requirement to produce this ID.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entry into Turkey

You need to print it out.

It may not be asked for at passport control as they can see it by scanning your passport, but it is law in Turkey that you carry your passport and a copy of your visa with you at all times.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entry into Turkey

Thank you both, I did tell him but he was convinced that is ok, I will show him this, lol,Thanks.

Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entry into Turkey

Yes print it off but I have been to icmeler so many times and would not advise carry your passport at all times ours are left in the safe at the hotel the whole time. If you loss your passport the day before your due home you will be ripping your hair out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entry into Turkey

Many people have reported back, especially in the last few months, about being stopped and asked to produce documents. But if you choose to break the law and take the risk of having to explain in your best Turkish why you aren’t carrying them, then that’s up to you!

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entry into Turkey

Thank you, good advice.

Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Entry into Turkey

Get a waterproof bag of amazon highly recommended, by someone off travel forum, great for swimming, snorkeling, makes life so much easier

edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,857 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entry into Turkey

Sam w...I too have been coming to Turkey for many years now and was never asked to produce my documents - until last year, so it does happen! It is the law of the land, which is why DEs would advise anyone to do so.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entry into Turkey

Always print mine off but never asked for it at passport control. You are supposed to carry them around with you, but totally forgot and kept mine locked in the safe this holiday. Blondescott has been stopped and asked for hers but I havnt heard of anyone else personally, everybody who stayed at our apartments had been going for years and they said they wouldn't chance losing theirs and they also kept theirs in the safe. Our private transfer was stopped by police on our way to Icmeler and took the drivers documents away and kept us waiting 15 minutes and didn't ask for any of ours, also our minibus on the way back from the Aquapark also stopped, just checked the drivers documents again and didn't ask for ours.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entry into Turkey

It is the law and at any time you could get the official that decides to check all the passengers on a dolmuş. If the UK government is advising you to carry the correct documentation then it is more than just a polite request!!

https:/…turkey

''the Turkish authorities are stopping members of the public to conduct ID checks. There’s also a larger than usual number of police checkpoints on main roads across Turkey. You should co-operate with officials conducting checks, and keep your passport and a printed copy of your e-visa or your residence permit with you at all times''

As it has always been law in Turkey to carry i.d. those that have been staying at your apartments for years have actually been in contravention of this law for years!!

Just because you haven't been asked doesn't mean that no one else will be.

Plus with the upcoming elections etc there may be more checks.

You won't necessarily be asked at passport control as the evisa details are on the system and show when your passport is scanned. The average roadside policeman or jandarma doesn't have the convenience of just being able to scan the passport so needs both documents.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Reply to: Entry into Turkey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations