We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip 6/5 to 6/11

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
My trip 6/5 to 6/11

I just got back from our trip to Kona this morning. With all the news coming out of BI I was very apprehensive about going and I know others are also feeling the same way so I thought I would leave our experiences here. As a disclaimer let me say that these are solely my experiences and I would defer to the DEs whenever possible.

The vog was noticeable at our location at Kahaluu Beach Villas. Some mornings start out very promising, with partly cloudy skies and some sun, but typically they would give away to moderate to heavy fog in the afternoon. The only sunset we really experienced was on the was to the Kona airport for our departing flight. That said, myself nor my family of 5 felt no ill effects despite snorkeling, hiking or fishing everyday. Again, just our experience.

Overall other than the vog my family didnt have out vacation impacted negatively. We had a tremendous time and were happy we did not cancel. My kids made an effort to donate to relief efforts whenever they saw collections around town.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kahaluu Beach
Kahaluu Beach
288 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
7 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,195 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My trip 6/5 to 6/11

Thanks for this, Rodger. Nice that you didn't allow the vog to negatively impact your vacation. Gotta admit, a couple of hours of voggy gray is enough for me; I just find it so darn depressing. I hope you got out of the Kona districts sometimes, not only to escape the vog but to experience other areas of the island. Glad in any case that you have a terrific time!

~ Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My trip 6/5 to 6/11

Thank you for posting your trip report! You did some of our favorite things so it was nice to relive them before our upcoming trip back to our favorite place on earth, Kailua Kona. That is very commendable for your kids to donate to the relief efforts.

Edited: June 13, 2018, 11:43 am
Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My trip 6/5 to 6/11

Glad to see your overall experience was great.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
317 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My trip 6/5 to 6/11

Good to hear that the vog wasn't a problem for you and you had an enjoyable time!

Wall Township, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My trip 6/5 to 6/11

We were in BI end of May. Vog was present in Kona area, but served as a blessing since it sent us north to explore the northern areas which we may not have done otherwise. Beautiful and vog free. Kohala, Waimea, Valley of the Gods, Mauna Kea and all the way to Hilo were not affected at all. Modify your plans if only in the Kona area to spend time north of there.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,187 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
258 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
30,259 posts
6,245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My trip 6/5 to 6/11

I am happy you had a good time in spite of the weather.

Thanks for your trip report.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My trip 6/5 to 6/11

Ah, sunset, that reminds me....

There is one good thing about Vog, it does help make beautiful sunsets, kind of like when we had fires and the smoke was sitting here in the PNW.

I saw the most beautiful sunset I think I have ever seen from Royal Kona swimming pool one night. Just a beautiful bright red orb sinking down. I see sunsets from Mexico every year, I have seen them from Puerto Rico, and each of the Hawaii Islands, but this was one of the best I have seen.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
3,187 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Reply to: My trip 6/5 to 6/11
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona