We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip to New Orleans-Planned So Far...what to add?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
1st Trip to New Orleans-Planned So Far...what to add?

Hi all,

Very excited to come into town for a work conference in a couple of days. It's my first time in New Orleans so I'm trying to pack things in during non-business hours.

Here's what I have planned so far:

Thursday- dinner at Commander's Palace

Friday- early am jogging tour

Friday day- walk around the French Quarter/Garden District

Friday night- dinner at Upperline

Friday later- conference party at WWII Museum

Saturday day- conference

Saturday dinner- NOLA

Saturday night- Preservation Hall

Saturday later- Carousel Bar and Sazerac Bar

Sunday day- conference

Sunday night- work event at BB Kings

Sunday later-??? Frenchmen Street?

Monday day-conference

Monday dinner- GW Fin

Tuesday 1/2 day-conferene

Free afternoon and evening

Wednesday day-free

So the other things on my list are picking up pralines at the very last day (Wednesday) at New Orleans Cooking school and the muffuletta at Central Grocery to take home.

The other food places I'm going to try to hit are Mother's for the ham and Cafe du Monde. I'm debating/wondering if I should take the Garden District Tour and Cemetery tour on my last full day. Any advice on where to dine solo on Sunday or Tuesday night? Also, would it be relatively safe for me to explore Frenchmen St. on my own in the evening? I like live music, especially Brass bands.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1. Re: 1st Trip to New Orleans-Planned So Far...what to add?

You have a good agenda,, just a couple of things I noticed,, Carousel bar is very popular and gets packed quickly. I find the best way to insure a seat at the bar that rotates is to get there at least 15 minutes prior to them opening at 11am. Frenchmen is safe due to the amount of people that are there,, be careful coming and going . stay on the well traveled streets. Lots of nice restaurants in town, Brigstens , Cavan and Saba uptown. Bayona, Eat, SoBou in the Quarter to name a few not to mention Antoines, Broussards, Muriels, Arnauds which are all old school New Orleans

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
2. Re: 1st Trip to New Orleans-Planned So Far...what to add?

Nice agenda. My only skip would be Mother's. To maximize your time, make sure to buy Preservation Hall "Big Shot" tickets in advance, online. Without them you either have to get in line early or possibly miss out on the show. It's a small venue.

preservationhall.tunestub.com/eventList.cfm

I would wait to plan outdoor activities during the day time until you know you can stand the heat. It will be HHH-hot, humid and hazy. The French Quarter is great to explore as there are many shops, bars and restaurants to duck into when you feel overheated. Garden District is residential, so you will have to be prepared.

If you want a city tour during the summer, I would think of a nice air-conditioned bus. I see you're from LA, so may not be of that much interest, but the New Orleans Movie Tour will get you all around town, to some interesting spots in comfort:

http://www.nolamovies.com/

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: 1st Trip to New Orleans-Planned So Far...what to add?

You don’t mention your lodging location.

The entertainment portion of Frenchmen Street (between Esplanade Ave and Royal St), would be a convenient walking destination following B B Kings’s, and is safe until late. However, unless your lodging is in the close by portions of the French Quarter or Marigny, after 11 PM or so probably best to take a very easy to obtain taxicab or Uber back to your lodging.

For Sunday night dining between B B King’s and Frenchmen Street, Louisiana Pizza Kichen (Italian food, salads and of course pizza), the casual Coop’s Place (a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives kind of place), Cane and Table (an upscale rum bar with excellent small and large plates), or the small quirky cash only very local Adolfo’s on Frenchmen Street.

Although it might be difficult to get a seat at the revolving bar on a Saturday night (a single would certainly have a shot), there is quality Saturday night live music and an adequate other seating in the Carousel Bar rooms.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
4. Re: 1st Trip to New Orleans-Planned So Far...what to add?

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your responses so far!

To add: I am staying at Loews New Orleans.

For Preservation Hall, I pre-ordered the Big Shot tickets to the 10 pm show because my friend cannot stand or walk to far and we wanted to minimize standing around time.

Thanks for the tips on skipping Mother's if need be and regarding best way to snag a revolving seat at Carousel Bar!

I also want to mention that from previous posts it sounds like I'll be pretty safe walking to/from my hotel to French Quarter if I stay on Decatur and Peter streets?

Thoughts on the Steamboat Natchez Jazz tour?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
5. Re: 1st Trip to New Orleans-Planned So Far...what to add?

@bobbyvegas21 Thanks for all the restaurant tips! :-)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
146 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: 1st Trip to New Orleans-Planned So Far...what to add?

I have been going to the Carousel Bar for over 20 years and it's harder than ever to get seats.

I would recommend getting there when it opens at about 11am to make sure. It's a very cool experience

and the bartenders, particularly Marvin, are great.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
7. Re: 1st Trip to New Orleans-Planned So Far...what to add?

@DanBNash thanks for the tip. We will try Saturday night after Preservation Hall but if we don't get in, the Sazerac will do and I will have to hit Carousel on the last day! :-)

Reply to: 1st Trip to New Orleans-Planned So Far...what to add?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Orleans