We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NOLA street car use/car parking

Atlantic Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
NOLA street car use/car parking

I plan on going this year for the first time, but was wondering if I drive my car into NOLA, should I park it somewhere and street car my way around? Is it a daily rate for unlimited use, or a pay-per-trip fare? Or is it possible to drive the car around and park along the street?

t/y

5 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,186 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: NOLA street car use/car parking

Here's a link to the New Orleans public transit site:

http://www.norta.com/

You can pay for trips individually, or buy a day pass.

If you drive to New Orleans and want to park it centrally, you'll need to pay to park it - street parking in the French Quarter and Central Business District is hard to come by and the parking restrictions are very strict. Outside the central areas, parking is much easier. So whether or not you should drive to see things really depends on what you are doing. Between walking, public transit, Uber, and taxis, I have never found a need for a car in New Orleans itself.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
189 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: NOLA street car use/car parking

I agree with the previous poster. I live in the city and often wonder why I have a car. If I didn’t work in the suburbs, it would be easy for me to get rid of it! New Orleans is geographically a small city, and the tourist areas are even smaller.

Parking in a French Quarter hotel can be expensive, around $40 a day. Just make sure to include that in your budget.

Atlantic Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: NOLA street car use/car parking

Great info you provided. I found a link to the parking areas https://neworleans.bestparking.com/

The rates are all over the board.

Brigantine, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
117 reviews
4. Re: NOLA street car use/car parking

It looks like you're in Canada so I assume your flying to New Orleans. If that's the case and you don't have to do a lot of driving for business or personal needs outside of the immediate tourist district for sure don't spend the money to rent a car then pay a fortune to park it. You can get your fill of chargrilled oysters and Po-Boys with your savings.

It takes 7 to 10 days for them to mail the passes to you but you can get them now on a mobile app which is much easier anyway norta.com/Fares-Passes/How-to-Buy-Fares-and-…

There is one trip out of town many enjoy and that is a combination Swamp Tour and Oak Valley Plantation Tour. Many of these have their own TripAdvisor reviews,

https://tinyurl.com/Swamp-OVT

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
210 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: NOLA street car use/car parking

Wouldn't recommend having a car in the french quarter. I actually felt sorry for drivers trying to get through the pedestrian laden streets. Parking was also far from plentiful. Use the streetcar! It was so much fun and easy to use. For any trips outside of the city, rent a car for the day and have the rental place pick you up and drop you off at the end of the day.

Reply to: NOLA street car use/car parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted