We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
78 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

We will be coming to New Orleans for the first time late October. We will be flying, and will not have a car. Where is the best location to stay that we can use public transportation or walk to most attractions?

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Henry Howard Hotel
Henry Howard Hotel
#2 of 168 hotels in New Orleans
Grenoble House
Grenoble House
#3 of 168 hotels in New Orleans
Drury Inn & Suites New Orleans
Drury Inn & Suites New Orleans
#5 of 168 hotels in New Orleans
8 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Stay in the French Quarter, where you can walk out of your hotel door and right into hundreds of music and restaurant choices, shops, amazing architecture, history, etc. If you can tell us your needs, how many people, what kind of bed, and what kind of hotel you are looking for (quaint and charming, full-service, boutique), and an approximate budget, be can help you find a great place to stay.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,357 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Yes, staying in the FQ means you will be able to walk to a lot of things, and take the street car or bus to most things you'll want to see outside the FQ - with taxis and Uber as an option if you want it.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

French Quarter is the area to stay. Look at places such as the French Market Inn, Bienville House, Place D'Armes to get you started.

Mentioned in this post
French Market Inn
French Market Inn
1,734 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bienville House
Bienville House
1,740 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Place d'Armes Hotel
Place d'Armes Hotel
2,544 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
78 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

There will be two of us - we'd like a king or a queen bed

Would be nice if we could stay somewhere that includes breakfast

Doesn't matter style of hotel, as long as we have our own bathroom. Husband doesn't really like bed and breakfast

I haven't looked yet at prices, so not sure. Would it be possible to get something under $150 in that area?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,728 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

“I haven't looked yet at prices, so not sure. Would it be possible to get something under $150 in that area?”

It totally depends on your exact dates. Last weekend of October brings the Voodoo Music Festival and ( early) Halloween celebrations. A home Saints game can raise hotel prices too.

What I typically do when I’m in your situation is look at one of the third-party sites. Expedia, hotels.com or similar.

I book directly through the hotel. But a quick review of the third-party sites will give you a heads up as to whether rooms are in high demand or not.

Edited: June 13, 2018, 5:18 am
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

If French Quarter prices are too high, take a look at Prytania Park Hotel in the Lower Garden District. It's not fancy but it is close to the streetcar route (although I would take Uber back at night instead of waiting for a streetcar). They usually have very reasonable rates and free parking, in case you are driving...or at least they had free parking when we were there, but that has been a few years ago.

We live in Springfield, IL, and visit your charming city often!!

Mentioned in this post
Prytania Park
Prytania Park
830 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Garden District
Garden District
7,593 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

October is a big convention month also so if you find a deal jump on it

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
327 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

We like to stay at French Market Inn. Centrally located. Breakfast isn't included but Johnny Poboys is right around the corner. There is also a PJs coffee shop connected to the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
French Market Inn
French Market Inn
1,734 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Reply to: Where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;