We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What areas aren't safe?

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What areas aren't safe?

Hi all! My dad was born and raised in NOLA and I heard so many stories from him over the years; I've been waiting 46 years for this trip. :) We're planning to stay a week the last week in June and am wondering which neighborhoods/areas I should avoid in my search for a VRBO home. Any info is appreciated as I have no clue which areas to avoid. Thank you in advance.

11 replies to this topic
Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
3,016 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What areas aren't safe?

VRBO homes are not legal in New Orleans. Look for a B&B or hotel. The best areas for a first visit would be the French Quarter or the Central Business District (CND) which borders the Quarter.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What areas aren't safe?

There have been many posts here recently regarding Short Term Rentals (as in VBRO). Do a search for STR or Airbnb to get an idea regarding STR's and there acceptance in New Orleans. Here is one:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864…

I would forget about VBRO entirely and book a nice hotel in the French Quarter or CBD.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,749 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What areas aren't safe?

Go to a boutique style hotel in the French Quarter.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What areas aren't safe?

Aside from short term rental objections, because the nature of New Orleans areas can change from block to block, it is pretty much impossible to describe and list all of the “safe” and “unsafe” areas.

New Orleans is best explored on foot and via public transit, with occasional supplemental Uber/taxicab. With well located lodging a car will be more hassle than help. For most, well located lodging will be within the French Quarter, or those portions of the Marigny or Central Business District close to the French Quarter, close to most of the most popular attractions, and public transit lines to most of the rest of the most popular attractions.

Edited: June 10, 2018, 2:49 am
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
751 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What areas aren't safe?

I would just keep in mind like any other city, stay out of alleys and dark areas at night. Do stay in areas that are well lit and there are people.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What areas aren't safe?

The thing is about some neighborhoods is they can turn on a time.. the Lower 9th ward is generally considered one to stay away from as is New Orleans East in the Chef Menteur hwy area,, other areas are being regentrified but as I said a block or two either way can make a huge difference

Brigantine, New...
Level Contributor
888 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What areas aren't safe?

Marianne,

Here is a list of short term rental properties that are licensed in New Orleans. If you choose to go that route make sure your property is licensed. Agree with the advice about staying in the French Quarter or the Garden District.

https:/…j5u3-2ueh

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What areas aren't safe?

It's incorrect to say that VRBO homes aren't legal. Many are. Look for a license number in the listing.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
843 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What areas aren't safe?

A pervious post regarding an Air B&B rental stated that it was in the “Garden District” but the street address given was in a pretty dangerous (and inconvenient) area. The best bet is to book a regular old hotel in the Quarter so you’ll know what you are getting. Plus STRs are really not appreciated by locals who will be your temporary neighbors.

STRs may work in some locations, but in New Orleans, lots of big companies (like Marriot) are buying up housing in residential areas pushing the cost of housing for regular residents up so high they can’t atford to live there. The thing that makes New Orleans so special is the culture here and if you force the people who have created that culture over the years out, you will remove what makes New Orleans so uniquely wonderful.

Please say no to STRs in New Orleans 👍

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What areas aren't safe?

In addition, STR license that are in effect will not be renewed as they expire, so anyplace you rent that has a license today could be unlicensed by tomorrow. Please stay in a hotel or traditional B and B.

Reply to: What areas aren't safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted