We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

Southeast Texas
Level Contributor
81 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

My husband and I are planning a 20th anniversary trip for the last weekend in June. We plan to stay 3 nights, so that gives us 2 full days, plus arrival evening and departure morning.

As for hotels, we probably want to stay in the French Quarter. After a bit of research, we are interested in Hotel Mazarin, Place d'Armes, Hotel Provincial, or Omni Royal. Is there are clear winner (or two) in this group? Or do you have a better suggestion? Our priorities are location/convenience and local character/charm/ambiance.

Obviously with our limited time, we want to hit the highlights and must see/do's without running all over town in the blazing heat. Any suggestions for a 2 day itinerary? Our priorities are enjoying great Cajun food, live music, and learning about the history/culture of the city, while sipping a cocktail or two:). We prefer to self-tour, rather than be herded around in a group lol;).

Thanks in advance. The TA community is the absolute best source for planning a trip, and I really appreciate your input!

Mentioned in this post
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,667 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Mazarin
Hotel Mazarin
4,959 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Place d'Armes Hotel
Place d'Armes Hotel
2,544 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
10 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
49,119 posts
1,633 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

Quick question, regarding the food, please:

Are you seeking Cajun Food, indigenous to Lafayette, Breaux Bridge, Mew Iberia, LA, and near-by, or do you mean Creole, the indigenous cuisine of New Orleans?

While some cross-over, they are different cuisines.

Best of luck, and happy anniversary.

Hunt

Mentioned in this post
The Lafayette Hotel
The Lafayette Hotel
629 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
49,119 posts
1,633 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

For a great list of Things to Do, see Reply #4 in this thread: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864…

Best of luck,

Hunt

Southeast Texas
Level Contributor
81 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

Thanks for the question. Hmm...being from SE Texas, we are used to eating Cajun food, like that found in Eastern LA (my grandmother is from Breaux Bridge and makes amazing gumbo and etouffee). But we're also interested in authentic New Orleans Creole. We're certainly not "foodies" and prefer more casual rather than high end. Just wanting to hop around and sample a variety of dishes that NOLA is known for. :)

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,364 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
49,119 posts
1,633 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

I have always been impressed with Cochin, for a “city-take” on New Orleans Cajun.

Upscale just a tiny bit, K Paul’s has always impressed up.

Restaurant R’Evolutiin does a nice blend of those two cuisines, IMHO - one can mix and match dishes from either side of that “big bayou.”

I have never fallen in love with Mulate’s, but many really like it - though I believe more for the music, and atmosphere, than the food.

Two Creole restaurants, which differ, but offer a lot, for a medium price-point ar Tujaques and Muriel’s.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Mulate's New Orleans
Mulate's New Orleans
2,230 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Southeast Texas
Level Contributor
81 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

Great suggestions, thanks Hunt!

Southeast Texas
Level Contributor
81 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

Any hotel recommendations?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

Have stayed in three of the four hotels you mentioned, and visited guest rooms in the fourth. All are good choices. Omni Royal Orleans is a larger “full service” hotel, the others are smaller “boutiques”. All are considered well located; I consider Omni Royal Orleans to be the most conveniently located lodging in the City. All have pools except Mazarin. Place d’Armes is probably the least costly of the four, but is very well located and had a beautiful courtyard. I was married in the beautiful Mazarin courtyard. Provincial is in the somewhat quieter “lower” French Quarter; it was the hotel that introduced me to New Orleans over thirty years ago.

My current fave is Hotel Le Marais, which is affiliated with Hotel Mazarin. It is has “NewOrleanish” styling in a traditional very well located older building, with a contemporary twist. It also has a pool.

Mentioned in this post
Omni Royal Orleans
Omni Royal Orleans
5,234 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Mazarin
Hotel Mazarin
4,959 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,667 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Hotel Le Marais
Hotel Le Marais
3,551 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
49,119 posts
1,633 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

Of those mentioned, we have only stayed at Omni, but before it was an Omni. Very nice, lovely and a slightly newer take in “Grand New Orleans charm.”

Recently, we have stopped by, but the weak wine lists in the lovely bars, are a bit of a turn off for us.

Enjoy,

Hunt

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Fulton, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

Mine and My husband's Favorite "day" in Quarter

Start at:

Café De Monde-get benets and coffee

walk around-Jackson Square artist/painters/vodo/tarot card readers etc

St Louis Cathedral

then walk down to:

French Market

There are bars/restaraunts along the way to get your togo cup drink at.

There are also some great shops along the way.

Many great foods to try at the French Market. The have alligator on a stick (sausage) It fantastic.

Also the have a sampler that has Crawfish Etouffee, Jambalaya and Gumbo on it so you can try all 3.

From there you can work your way up to Bourbon street.

Favorite places to drink and listen to music on Bourbon Street!

Spirits- to eat drink and listen to music PIANO BAR Try a Resurrection

Tropical Isle (5pm) POP BANDS try a Hand Grenade but be careful they are potent

Pat Obriens (pianos at 6 wkdays/ 2pm wkends) Great Garden for relaxing, Try a Hurricane

We have stayed at The Place dArmes once and LOVED the court yard.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
13,115 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
St. Louis Cathedral
St. Louis Cathedral
7,150 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
French Market
French Market
1,922 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Gumbo Shop
Gumbo Shop
3,797 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bourbon Street
Bourbon Street
5,824 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Tropical Isle
Tropical Isle
237 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Pat O'Brien's
Pat O'Brien's
3,425 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
197 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip

!st of all, Congratulations, of the hotels you have mentioned all are nice, I have stayed at all of them so I would just take the lowest price. If you like history a great tour is the "Save Our Cemetaries" tours over at the St. Louis 1 and 2 Cemetaires, incredible experience and the website will tell you everything you want to know and let you pay in advance.

One thing I recommend for a real NOLA experience is the Sunday Morning Jazz Mass at the Our Lady of Gaudolupe Chapel, that is truly great and the Chapel is rather historic. One thing I recommend is to start off with a Buggy tour but be sure and get a good driver who is good at history and conversation - Enjoy and again, Congratulations!! - Jeff

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,364 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Reply to: 1st Timers Planning Anniversary Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;