We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Google maps and NYC restaurants

Sweden
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
Google maps and NYC restaurants
Save

Since I know many of you use Google maps frequently as well, I figured I would ask. I have a feeling I'm seeing less suggestions when using the 'search nearby' or if I use a search feature such as "restaurants near ..." recently. I'm just wondering if I've managed to make some changes to my browser or computer to have the searches to be more limited or if the searches in general gives me fewer options (I was thinking I might be getting only the suggestions of places that have placed ads with google or something else). I did a search of restaurants in lower Manhattan, and a bunch of places I *know* exist didn't appear.

Boston...
Level Contributor
50,963 posts
1,362 reviews
358 helpful votes
1. Re: Google maps and NYC restaurants
Save

I agree that this "feature" seems to only show maybe 50% of the options. I usually just zoom in on the location I'm interested in and look for the fork/knife icon to find options

S K
Canada
Level Contributor
599 posts
2. Re: Google maps and NYC restaurants
Save

The Yelp app use to have this. I now don't see it. I used it all the time in NYC on many trips (would save places and then look at nearby when I was near an area was I around. You might want to check Yelp and see how it is now.

Sweden
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Google maps and NYC restaurants
Save

Thanks. Good to hear it's not just me.

I've used the serach features extensively the last few years, particularly the '(insert search word here) near (inser location here)' so now when I see fewer options than I used I find that very annoying and limiting.

Sweden
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: Google maps and NYC restaurants
Save

Yes, I'll check Yelp to see if things have changed there too. Thanks for the tip.

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,725 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
5. Re: Google maps and NYC restaurants
Save

I just zoom in too.

I haven't really taken a lot of notice as to whether everything shows up that way, but the more you zoom in, the more things appear on the map.

Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
23 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: Google maps and NYC restaurants
Save

Yes, I have noticed this too! VERY frustrating. It started a few weeks ago.

I've googled for others complaining about the same thing but couldn't find anything. I expected to see others saying "what the heck?". I even used bing to search for complaints in case google wasn't showing those complaints. Nothing.

It's like only a small subgroup of restaurants are displayed, even if I try to kill the filters that are now appearing on the left. (change to "any", etc). I just cannot see all the restaurants with google anymore. Even zooming in, they are filtered.

I'm glad you posted. I'm really disappointed that this search ability seems to be gone.

Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
23 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Google maps and NYC restaurants
Save

More... I noticed this type of filtering when using iPad a couple of years ago. We traveled to NYC with only my iPad and I was totally frustrated during the couple of times I wanted to search for nearby restaurants. Even if I used a browser vs the app, I could not see everything. From then on, I insist on bring a laptop on our trips.

Now it seems like the regular website is behaving like the app. Big thumbs down.

If anyone is NOT experiencing this, that would be very interesting to know.

Edited: 5 years ago
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
110,546 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
8. Re: Google maps and NYC restaurants
Save

"Search nearby" never worked with the ipad as far as I know.

Sweden
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
9. Re: Google maps and NYC restaurants
Save

Exactly, Chrisnp. Big thumbs down. Along with directions, this is the Google map feature I've been using the most both when planning and during trips. Very frustrating that it seems to be gone :(

Boston...
Level Contributor
50,963 posts
1,362 reviews
358 helpful votes
10. Re: Google maps and NYC restaurants
Save

And now Open Table doesn't allow you to search by address, or even use their old "nearby" option if your first choice was sold out.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.