We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Line to Grand Central Station

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
5 helpful votes
High Line to Grand Central Station
Save

I'm presuming it's best to travel from Grand Central Station from the High Line (around 18th St) by cab?

If so, how long will it take?

Roughly how much will it cost?

Are there lots of cabs in that area (we'll need 3)?

Many thanks.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13,328 posts
14 reviews
34 helpful votes
1. Re: High Line to Grand Central Station
Save

You can take a cab and won't have trouble finding one, but you can also take the #7 subway line from Grand Central to the end of the 7 line around 11th Avenue, where you walk a couple of blocks to the NORTH END of the Highline, then walk the Highline from north to south. The plan you originally describe seems to assume you would walk it south to north, which is fine -- it's up to you.

If you take a taxi expect to pay $10 - $20 depending on which part of the HIgh Line you start at, time of day, day of week, and traffic.You will be traveling both south and across town. Cross town traffic can be really trying at times.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31,390 posts
2. Re: High Line to Grand Central Station
Save

Is your plan to walk the highline from south to north (or are you going to another place near by)?

There is a cab line outside the terminal. Any cab ride would be on the meter so costs will vary by time/traffic.

However, if you're fine with walking the Highline from north to south http://www.thehighline.org/visit you can take the 7 train from Grand Central to the last stop at the new Hudson Yards Station.

Or you can take the 4,5, or 6 train to Union Square and transfer to the westbound L train and walk a bit the southern entrances.

http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html ($2.75/ride)

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
253 reviews
273 helpful votes
3. Re: High Line to Grand Central Station
Save

It's true that the wider, more planted, perhaps more interesting end of the High Line isn't very close to the Subway. But the walk from the 14th Street or 23 Street stations on 8th Avenue can be interesting - especially if you want to eat, go to an art gallery (Tu-Sa), go to the Whitney Museum, go to the Apple Store, see the Meatpacking District, the exterior of the NY Google headquarters, visit Chelsea Market, the Joyce Theater, Chelsea Piers (including boat rides), or any number of other things.

There's quite a lot of new architecture in Chelsea, including Jean Nouvel, Zaha Hadid, and Frank Gehry.

It is a "hike" from the subway, especially in windy or bad weather. But it's a rewarding hike. (Note that some trains don't stop at 23rd Street.) You can also approach from western Greenwich Village - but you've made it clear that you're just arriving on Metro North.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: High Line to Grand Central Station
Save

Sorry... I should have been a bit more specific. We're only walking a short distance on the High Line (from the bottom end to the Urban Theatre for some specific photos (we've been on it before).

We're then going from around 18th St to the Grand Central.

Are there many taxis around 18th St? (We won't be taking the subway this time).

Many thanks again.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
90 reviews
51 helpful votes
5. Re: High Line to Grand Central Station
Save

If you were going further north on the High Line, you could catch the #7 at the new Hudson Yards station and this goes directly to Grand Central.

Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
23 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: High Line to Grand Central Station
Save

<<Are there many taxis around 18th St>> Taxis are all over. Heading to a major avenue is generally better than staying on a side street. How easy it will be to hail 3 of them will depend on how high taxi demand is when you are wanting to find one, whether it's near shift change time (around 4-5pm), etc. Finding a taxi is sometimes easy and sometimes it can take awhile.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13,328 posts
14 reviews
34 helpful votes
7. Re: High Line to Grand Central Station
Save

I usually try to hail taxis on a street or avenue going in the direction I want to go. So if I'm headed north I usually station myself on a northbound avenue, while if I'm headed south I'll usualy stand on a southbound avenue. Or maybe I'll just stand on an east/west street that easily leads into an avenue going in the right direction,

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
253 reviews
273 helpful votes
8. Re: High Line to Grand Central Station
Save

Note that Grand Central is at least 20 minutes away on a weekday. Make meetup plans because the three cabs won't arrive together. Although the answer remains roughly correct, "Plenty of cabs", it might be wise to give the month and the day of the week and the time of day. As noted, rain means all cab bets are off.

9. Re: High Line to Grand Central Station

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: April 13, 2017, 1:17 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.