We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - May 18-22 Anniversary Trip to NYC

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
Trip Report - May 18-22 Anniversary Trip to NYC
Save

Sorry this is so long but want to report back on our awesome time in NYC this past weekend. Thank you to everyone that helped me plan our trip!

Day 1: Our flight from Houston was uneventful & we took a cab from LaGuardia to the Courtyard by Marriott Herald Square. This was the only real downside of our vacation! The cab ride was awful…It took forever and the driver would speed up as fast as he could then slam on the brakes. It was over 90 degrees that day and we could barely feel the a/c in the backseat. So the heat coupled with his heavy foot on the gas AND brake made for a carsick hubby. He was miserable. Check-in at the hotel went quickly and thankfully our room was ready even though it was before 4pm. Our hotel was in an awesome location! There was a subway entrance not 20’ from the door of the hotel which made for quick trips to wherever we needed to go. Once my husband rested up and felt better, we walked to Pizza Suprema across the street from Madison Square Garden. Oh my goodness it was delicious! We then walked to Chelsea and made our way up on the High Line. It was very crowded but plenty of benches to stop and relax. We made our way over to Chelsea Piers and checked in at Classic Harbor Line for our sunset cruise aboard the Adirondack to the Statue of Liberty. This was a highlight of our trip for me! The trip took about 2 hours and included 3 rounds of drinks. Lady Liberty is beautiful as is the NYC skyline from the water at sunset! We ended up walking back to our hotel because the evening was so nice.

Day 2: We started our morning by having breakfast at Andrew’s Coffee Shop and the food was plentiful and delicious. After breakfast we made our way down to the subway and bought our MetroCards. We rode the subway to the financial district since we had 10am tickets for the 9/11 Museum. We were a little early, so we walked around the 9/11 Memorial and just took the time to read as many names as we could to pay our respects. There are no words for the museum. It’s a beautiful tribute & reminder to never forget what happened on that horrific day. We walked to Pisillo Italian Panini for lunch. I warned my husband that it was recommended to share a sandwich but he refused. He likes his food and had no interest in sharing. He put me to shame and ate every bit of his plus a little of mine. Needless to say he liked them! After lunch we took the subway to Brooklyn. We were able to find the 2 buildings where my husband’s grandma grew up which was amazing. We stopped at the Berg’n Bar across the street that was recommended on the forum and had a couple of drinks. We had planned on exploring the Brooklyn Bridge Park but it was incredibly hot. We walked the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan and did our best to stay out of the bicyclists way! Man those people are fast! Did I mention it was hot? We stopped twice for water and to rest and take in the views. Once we made it back to Manhattan, we took the subway back to our hotel to take a nap. We ate more pizza for dinner at the Rustica Cafe and went to Times Square for a look around. We spent about 20 minutes there in total because it was madness. We’ve seen it now and we’re good.

Day 3: We took the subway (why can’t Houston have a subway?!?!) to Rockefeller Center and went to the Today Show. After the show was over we grabbed some coffee and a pastry inside Bouchon and watched them tear down the set. I can’t believe they set up and tear down every single day but they have it down to a science. We bought our tickets to the Top of the Rock for later in the day. The temp had dropped about 30 degrees since the day before (I thought Texas weather was crazy) so we wanted to give it a chance to warm up. We walked around the area and made our way down to 5th Avenue and did some window shopping. After a quick bite to eat, we made our way up to the Top of the Rock. Amazing views! I was limping by this point because of poor shoe choices so we went back to our hotel to rest my feet and get ready for our show tonight. I bought tickets to see Bandstand at 8pm. There weren’t many reviews that I could find so I wasn’t sure about it, but it was PHENOMENAL! I really can’t say enough great things about it. The talent these actors have is unbelievable and the lead actress had the most amazing voice. Highly recommended!!!! After the show, we made our way to Hell’s Kitchen for dinner but unfortunately I hadn’t planned very well in advance. Initially I planned for us to eat dinner before the show but we napped a little longer than we should have so we just went straight to the show instead. It was late, we were starving and our feet were really killing us so we popped into the first restaurant we found and it was underwhelming...not awful food…just that I know there are so many great places to eat in this area so I was pretty mad at myself for not having a better plan.

Day 4: Today we slept in but eventually made our way over to Central Park. We just spent a couple of hours getting lost in the park and loved every minute of it. It was a beautiful day so the park was crowded but still serene amidst the craziness of the city. We took the skyway thing (tram?) to Roosevelt Island and walked around there for an hour or so. We ended up taking the subway back to our hotel because the skyway thing was pretty terrifying to me. We went back to the hotel to drop off a few souvenirs and then made our way to Nolita. We ate dinner at Lombardi’s and then walked around the corner to get some cheesecake at Eileen’s. Yummy! We walked around Little Italy and Chinatown for a bit but then went back to our hotel to go to bed early for our early morning flight.

Day 5: If you’re still reading…Thank you! We had a 6am flight this morning and my husband was determined to NOT take a cab after his terrible experience on our arrival day. So we left our hotel at 2:30am to give ourselves enough time to figure out the subway/bus back to LaGuardia. I was nervous about it but we succeeded! We took the F train from Herald Square to Roosevelt Avenue and then transferred to the Q70 bus which dropped us off right at Terminal B. Super easy and I don’t know why I was so worried!

Indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
207 reviews
86 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip Report - May 18-22 Anniversary Trip to NYC
Save

Thank you for your trip report. We are looking forward to being in NYC this weekend! Your taxi experience reassures me that our choice to take the bus to the subway might be the way to go. We will find out!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Trip Report - May 18-22 Anniversary Trip to NYC
Save

I'm so glad you loved Bandstand! I love the actors and I am going to see it on Saturday!

3. Re: Trip Report - May 18-22 Anniversary Trip to NYC

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: May 25, 2018, 1:18 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.