We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years in NYC or Brooklyn

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
New Years in NYC or Brooklyn
Save

Me and my fella are going to NY for new year we want to see and do as much as we can, can you advise on where and what is on at this time of year. Also what options do we have on New Years Eve. We are sooooooooooooooooooooooo excited. Your advise would be very useful.

Do you also have concert and restaurant recommendations for the New Years Evening? (It shouldn't be too pricey)

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
22 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: New Years in NYC or Brooklyn
Save

Garland Jeffreys has an early (7 pm) show at Joe's Pub - tix are $50 (there's also a modest food/drink minimum at the venue). Great music, great stories, very "New York." We went last year, loved it, and are going back this year.

I'm only telling you about it because I have my tickets already booked. ;-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24,842 posts
2. Re: New Years in NYC or Brooklyn
Save

Usually NYE plans are made well in advance (those near the ball drop go by lottery in aug or sept and tickets are $500 up) and many other places tend to have parties with fixed (high) prices.

There are always plenty of casual local restaurants, but anything special is likely to be big $.

Level Contributor
222 posts
1 review
3. Re: New Years in NYC or Brooklyn
Save

Brooklyn is in NYC.

Boroughs of New York City

-Manhattan (where tourists think is NYC and spend all their time)

-Queens (Western Long Island, CitiField, airports, good ethnic foods)

-Brooklyn (Barclays Center, hipsters, Coney Island, beaches, more ethnic foods)

-The Bronx (Yankee Stadium, rich people who pretend they aren't in NYC, parks, more good ethnic foods)

-Staten Island (ferries, landfill-turned-park, sorta-kinda-basically Jersey)

These are broad generalizations. Manhattan is the smallest borough. Queens is the largest. Subways run to all except Staten Island which has a ferry and free transfer to the SIR rapid transit.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
20 reviews
50 helpful votes
4. Re: New Years in NYC or Brooklyn
Save

Here are some ideas at different prices from free to $800.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog/13-fabulous-new-years-eve-events-at-every-price-point-120916

I am guessing some (many?) will be sold out by now, but may be worth checking on any that may interest you.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
22 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: New Years in NYC or Brooklyn
Save

adamsM, as I'm sure you know, people in Brooklyn often confuse things by talking about going to "the city" when we mean Manhattan.

6. Re: New Years in NYC or Brooklyn

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the Tripadvisor travel community!

Removed on: December 11, 2016, 6:05 am
7. Re: New Years in NYC or Brooklyn

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: December 12, 2017, 1:17 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.