We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz Fog Globe

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Alcatraz Fog Globe

We are going to San Francisco for a few days in May with the highlight being touring Alcatraz. One of the requested souvenirs is the Fog Globe.

I've checked the measurements and I can get it in my carry-on. The problem is I don't know if I will be allowed to carry it on the plane due to the "liquid" inside. Does anyone know if the Fog Globe "appears to contain less than 3.4 oz or 100 ml of liquid (approx tennis ball size)" per security's carry-on rules regarding snow globes?

I was hoping to not check any baggage and only do carry-on's. If I did do "checked" baggage I was afraid it might freeze and be ruined.

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,767 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: Alcatraz Fog Globe

https:/…s-laz.htm

Why don't you just order it online instead of trying to see how to carry it back home. It is made in China so you're not getting anything SF made anyway --

2. Re: Alcatraz Fog Globe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: November 22, 2018, 11:45 pm

3. Re: Alcatraz Fog Globe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: November 22, 2018, 10:32 pm
Edited: November 22, 2018, 10:32 pm

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,238 posts
75 reviews
4. Re: Alcatraz Fog Globe

You have the measurements? It's been a few years since math, but Google tells me volume of a sphere = 4/3*pi*(radius cubed)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
194 reviews
5. Re: Alcatraz Fog Globe

That won't get past security - I was actually listening to a radio interview about things that are frequently confiscated from carry-ons. Snow globes was one of the items.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,956 posts
79 reviews
6. Re: Alcatraz Fog Globe

Are snow globes "openable" so you could drain the liquid before the flight and replace it at home? (Assuming the 'fog' is solid particulates in the liquid).

I also don't think the cargo holds normally get below freezing... I've packed wine and liquid toiletries without any evidence of them freezing. I found a couple of references online that said the low temps in cargo holds are generally between 4-7 degrees Celsius, so above freezing. Wrap the globe in a plastic ziplock bag (in case it does break or leak), wrap it in some insulating clothing, put it in the center of the suitcase with maybe some firmer items around it, and keep your fingers crossed.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
92 reviews
7. Re: Alcatraz Fog Globe

Here is the link to TSA, you can take a small globe through security, restrictions apply.

https:/…snow-globes

Level Contributor
3,626 posts
1 review
8. Re: Alcatraz Fog Globe

Good research ImaMY.

According to Wikipedia the liquid in a snow globe is a mixture of water and antifreeze (glycerin or glycol). An added benefit was that glycerin and glycol slowed the descent of the snow. Caution should be taken if a snow globe is broken because the liquid, which can contain antifreeze, can be deadly to cats and dogs if ingested or licked off their fur.[4]

I think ordering one online would be the best and safest way to assure your snow globe arrives intact.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: Alcatraz Fog Globe

Thanks for your help!

I think this is one souvenir that will have to be ordered and shipped.

Reply to: Alcatraz Fog Globe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted