We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
47 posts
67 reviews
Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

I have an opportunity to trade my timeshare through Interval for a one bedroom at the Inn at the Opera. I've researched in this forum and a lot of the posts are fairly old. Just wondering what you think of staying in that location relative to attractions and safety, what you think of the hotel and what an Uber would cost to get to attractions such as fisherman's wharf, etc.

I've not been to San Francisco before so I have no point of reference. Just wondering if this trade is worth some limitations on location, etc. or if it's something I should pass up.

Appreciate the advice!

11 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

From a value perspective, if I could trade time at a much less expensive location for time in SF, I'd probably do it since it's one of the most expensive cities in the country.

From a visitor's perspective, the Inn at the Opera would not be my top place to stay in the city, but it's not terrible either, depending on your specifics. Across the other side of Van Ness in the Civic Center area there are homeless and some other grittiness.

You are near event spaces such as the opera house, Bill Graham auditorium. You'd also be near Hayes Valley which is a more recently trendy area with places to eat, boutiques and things like that.

For touristing to places like Union Square or Embarcadero, you might hop on transit such as the F Streetcar or go underground in the Van Ness station and take one of the underground trains. You could also walk up Market Street to Powell in about 20 minutes, but it is a little gritty in places walking through civic center or up market street and I might not do it at night, but rather take transit or Lyft/Uber/Taxi at those times.

There are buses going up Van Ness Ave to Fisherman's Wharf and points north.

I'd probably choose other places above there if I were paying full price, but if I could get it cheap/free and it gave me some time to visit and explore SF, then I'd probably be on it.

I suppose it also somewhat depends on how you deal with a little bit of contact or being near a somewhat gritty urban environment. While the Inn itself is fine, it is gritty with some homeless and things just a little bit east of there. I wouldn't necessarily say dangerous, especially during the day, though.

There have been some recent furors over the homeless in SF and some news reports. You'll encounter some of them between there and downtown, probably.

I just had to wander through some of those areas in SF to get to the Hall of Justice for jury duty this last week. From that experience, I have to say, I thought the recent hysteria was really, really overblown and the homeless were around but didn't cause me any more problems than usual or that they do in other cities I've visited.

As a tourist you could find a better location. If it were me I'd probably be OK with it if it gave me a good opportunity to visit that I didn't have otherwise. Maybe I'd be less enthused with the location if I was bringing kids along, though.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,335 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

Info in the forums may be older but not in the review section here...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60…

Do you have any other options in SF? The area around the Inn, Hayes Valley, had really gentrified in the last 5 years and is a happening place to eat and stroll. Relatively central enough.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,662 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

If your other option is to go somewhere else and skip SF entirely, then take the Inn at the Opera (after reading holodan's really good summary).

If your other option is to stay somewhere else in SF (either a different trade or by paying for a hotel), let us know and we can make suggestions.

4. Re: Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: August 13, 2018, 11:40 pm

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
47 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

Thanks for your responses. I did book it because you're right - it was this or no San Fran. Based on your responses, I should be okay walking to the Hayes neighborhood or walking to the Vann Ness street to catch public transportation, but really stay away from wandering further in any other direction.

No kids will be traveling with us so we should be okay. Appreciate the feedback.

Level Contributor
3,511 posts
1 review
6. Re: Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

The area immediately around the Inn is very nice (and getting nicer). There are a number of restaurants along Hayes (2 blocks south of the Inn) as well as the Gough (pronounced Gawf) for a few blocks on either side of Hayes. Nothing going on at the Opera right now and Symphony season is dwindling to the end. Both seasons open in early September.

The walk to Van Ness gets a little grimy as you approach Van Ness. But there is a Muni subway station there that can get you downtown in a couple of minutes. Late at night I'd opt for a cab or Uber/Lyft.

Tours are given of City Hall (beautiful building) every weekday at 10, noon and 2 (free). Mondays there are Performing Arts Center tours on the hour between 10AM and 2PM ($7). These include Symphony Hall, Opera House and little Herbst Theater. In summer there are brief "Glimpse" tours of the Opera house on a drop in basis from 11AM-2PM ($1).

If you want to walk west, do so on Hayes Street. There are some public housing projects immediately to the west of the Inn. Nothing unsafe, just a little unwholesome.

It's not the center of tourist doings but the area is up-and-coming and you can beat FREE! :)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,195 posts
6,438 reviews
7. Re: Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

Inn at the Opera is nice to stay at The restaurant is very good: Plaj Restaurant.

You can hear the normal city noises (police car sirens in a distance etc.) but generally good place to sleep.

The staff is nice.

Hayes Street area has good places to dine.

You can easily walk and do the Hop On and Off bus from that location.

I would book it IMMEDIATELY though as while its an easier one to trade into, it does not come up often for a full week on timeshare type places.

They will probably want you to do a Times Share presentation/breakfast at their sister hotel in Union Square area The Donatello. Shell also owns the Suites at Fisherman Wharf.

I would say book and enjoy your trip.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

I don't necessarily think you have to completely avoid wandering into Civic Center or even through the Civic Center area to Market Street and up Market Street. I wouldn't really call it a danger but parts maybe aren't so pleasant and you'll see some homeless people and that kind of thing. Homeless people don't really equal danger though they can be disconcerting if you see one with some mental problems yelling or doing something odd. Usually if you say "sorry" and keep walking if someone asks for money they leave you alone.

Lots of normal people go to the Civic Center area every day. There are a bunch of government offices in the area and many thousands of people going to work in the area. You can get good Banh Mi Vietnamese sandwiches and lots of other stuff there and in the Tenderloin. The Asian Art Museum is in the Civic Center area and city hall and other buildings are nice with some Beaux Arts architecture.

The Tenderloin is next to the Civic Center area and maybe has less reason for you to go into aside from some good eateries and that kind of thing.

I'd be a little more careful and avoid it more at night, though.

Really being pretty close to a Muni station isn't bad and you can get around a lot of places quickly from there. Going outbound on the trains you can get to the Mission, The Castro, Golden Gate Park. Inbound you can go downtown (Union Square, Financial District/Embarcadero).

If you like history or architecture or getting to know some neighborhoods, you can take free walking tours from http://sfcityguides.org . If you're in town a full week you'll have time to do a lot of exploring and getting to know different places and see more than many visitors. If you feel like you want to go some places outside the city, you're also pretty close to the Civic Center BART station and you could get to Berkeley or Oakland quickly on BART, also.

Edited: July 22, 2018, 10:25 am
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
27,479 posts
2,260 reviews
9. Re: Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

I also used a timeshare exchange in San Francisco. We considered this hotel and ended up choosing The Donatello. Loved this hotel with a great location a block off Union Square and large rooms.

To me its a much better option.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
47 posts
67 reviews
10. Re: Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?

Thank you so much for your comments and for letting me know what is around that area. You're right, I may end up seeing more because I will most certainly go to the tourist area but will be able to explore this area as well. Appreciate your thoughts on the lay of the land to help my exploration get off on the right foot.

Reply to: Inn at the Opera - Decent Choice for Timeshare Trade?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted