We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadia/Portland - How many days in each?

New York
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
39 reviews
42 helpful votes
Acadia/Portland - How many days in each?
Save

Our family of 4 (me, hubby, 2 young adults) will have 10 days to spend in Maine and have our sights set on Acadia National Park & Portland. We're very outdoorsy and love camping, hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, exploring, etc.

We're wondering how to "split" the trip. How many days would you suggest in each area?

Also, we've heard a good amount about Camden, Kennenbunkport and Old Orchard Beach. In your opinion, should we try and get a visit in to those areas as well?

Thanks so much! Love to use TA when planning a trip!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
9,831 posts
8 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Acadia/Portland - How many days in each?
Save

Given what you like to do, I'd skip Kennebunkport and Old Orchard Beach, spend an overnight in Portland, stop for lunch in Camden, and spend all of the rest of your time near Acadia with a day trip up to Lubec to hike the Bold Coast trail.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
14 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Acadia/Portland - How many days in each?
Save

All of the possible towns you mention are coastal. Is the ocean a must for all of your trip or would you like to check out inland Maine's woods, rivers, lakes, etc.? I am asking as you mention camping, kayaking, hiking, biking, swimming, etc. Lakes, ponds and rivers are definitely warmer than the ocean and there are tons of inland choices for all of the activities you mention.

New York
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
39 reviews
42 helpful votes
3. Re: Acadia/Portland - How many days in each?
Save

bonniemaev…..I just thanked you in another post as I found (&printed) your 8 day itinerary :)

CB48.....I think for this trip we'll stick to the towns we've always heard about. But, from what I've seen on here so far, I think we'll have to plan a subsequent trip!

Thank you!

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
12,949 posts
305 reviews
252 helpful votes
4. Re: Acadia/Portland - How many days in each?
Save

In 2017 we visited Bar Harbor, Campobello Island, Boothbay Harbor, Kennbunkport, Portland, and Oqunquit. We liked Portland, but it wasn't our favorite. It just didn't have the charm of the other places. We wished we had added those two days to one of the other places.

That's just my two cents. Good luck with your planning.

New York
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
39 reviews
42 helpful votes
5. Re: Acadia/Portland - How many days in each?
Save

teacher91.....I appreciate your "2 cents". Looking back, how many days would you spend in Bar Harbor/Acadia? And, what did you like most about the others you mentioned? Thanks!

6. Re: Acadia/Portland - How many days in each?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: February 13, 2020, 2:41 pm
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.