We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
274 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

Many years ago, I learned to swim at a club on Lookout Mountain called the Panoram Club. It was noted for its food and maybe a little gambling and political dealing, but the swimming pool had a beautiful view of the valley and Moccasin Bend.

I know the Panoram has been gone for years. I think it burned in the early 1970's. What I am hoping to discover here is if somebody can pinpoint the exact location the club was located, maybe by offering lat and long. points from Google Maps. I want to show others where on the mountain it was. I believe it was relatively close to Ruby Falls.

23 replies to this topic
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

https://www.google.com/url…

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga
Level Contributor
790 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

Yes - lookout mountain caverns in which there is supposedly Andrew Jackson’s signature and other artifacts dating back to native American’s-sealed up now I am afraid - see Queenies link for an excellent article.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
274 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

Thanks for the link. Maybe it gives a little weight to the possibility that it was possible.

I was able to pinpoint the exact location where the A&M Toy Store once existed. This was the store with the countdown of the days until Christmas on the roof. It was in Ringgold Road across from the intersection of Germantown Road, adjacent to the Factory Carpet House.

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
464 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

The site of the Panorama Club is still visible from Scenic Hwy just above Ruby Falls who owns it.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
274 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

Is the old location of the parking area behind Ruby Falls with the Google Satellite picture showing a bunch of trash, and the coordinates of 35.018075, -85.339287 the site of the Pan-O-Ram?

I can only really remember swimming in the pool and being able to see the valley below.

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
464 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

No. The site is across Scenic Hwy from Ruby Falls and a bit further up the highway. Shows on Google as a lighter green patch of high grass and brush.

35.016392, -85.337339

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
274 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

Thank you so much. This patch of land definitely looks like what I remembered from the early 1960s. I do remember being able to see the Pan-O-Ram sign from down in the valley, but it's been more than 50 years, and I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast.

I also remember being in the audience of the Bob Brandy show with Rebel the Horse.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga
Level Contributor
790 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

Now there’s a good memory!! Bob Brandy! I think he had the horses at a farm on mountain creek road which is now wall to wall apartments, houses, nursing homes and a school. Do you remember Ms Marsha too?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga
Level Contributor
790 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

Sorry - Miss Marcia- she had the Romper Room show

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
464 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location

Miss Marsha's show was called Funtime. Romper Room was a nationwide children's show.

Reply to: Chattanooga Historian needed to pinpoint location
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chattanooga