We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming safety Myrtle beach

Indianapolis...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Swimming safety Myrtle beach

My family will be coming for our first trip to Myrtle beach in July. I have had many people who upon learning of our plans warn us about consistently “strong rip currents and undertow” in the Myrtle beach area, (we are staying at the breakers resort area) I am beginning to worry about the safety of swimming in the ocean. We have a 7year old son who loves the water and his safety is our highest concern. Can anyone tell me about the typical conditions for the area and is this considered a generally safe swimming area. Ty in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
2 replies to this topic
Kentucky
Level Contributor
541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming safety Myrtle beach

You probably need to move this from the Pawleys forum over to MB forum. Lots of people swim in the MB oceans with no problems. I always review with my kids what to do in a rip current just out of precaution regardless of what beach we are at.

Mentioned in this post
Pawleys Island
Pawleys Island
Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming safety Myrtle beach

First of all, you posted in the Pawleys Island forum. You may want to re-post in the Myrtle Beach forum just to get additional input, but essentially we are all one big long beach.

Rip tides are a possibility on any beach, controlled primarily by the prevailing winds. The worst are usually located in areas where creeks or inlets flow into the ocean. The “typical” condition does not include them, and thousands of folks swim along Myrtle Beach’s beaches every year with no problems, but it is a good thing to be aware of. Lifeguard stations will display a red flag when riptide conditions have been detected.

Mentioned in this post
Pawleys Island
Pawleys Island
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Reply to: Swimming safety Myrtle beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pawleys Island