We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh Seafood

Charleston, West...
1 post
Fresh Seafood
Save

Is there a place near Kiawah that one can buy fresh seafood and bring back to your house to prepare? Or a place that does some preparation of seafood that you bring home to enjoy or must we rely on restaurants?

The Atlantic Room
₱₱₱₱, Seafood, American
Hege's
₱₱₱₱, French, American, Seafood
26 replies to this topic
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
11,742 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Fresh Seafood
Save

We drive out to Cherry Point Landing, which is in Rockville. It's a bit of a drive, but a very beautiful drive and prices are definitely worth the effort. We usually pay $10/lb, heads off. Many times they will have flounder, mahi or swordfish, as well.

Harris Teeter at Freshfields (which we don't go to, too many tourists) has fresh seafood from Cherry Point as well, it's usually $16/lb. or so.

Sometimes, Rosebank Farms, on Betsey Kerrison, will have Cherry Point Shrimp, again, it's $16/lb or so.

Mills River, North...
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Fresh Seafood
Save

Thanks for asking! I just came on here to ask this question. We are going to be there July 19-26 and since we'll only be eating at outdoor restaurants, I was wanting to buy fresh seafood to cook!

Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Fresh Seafood
Save

we will be there 7/25-8/1. We wanted to do only the outdoor dining also, so I would be interested to hear where you guys came up with to go. Usually eat out at least 5 days but thinking we will have to do more cooking this year at the house.

Edited: July 10, 2020, 5:56 am
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,742 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Fresh Seafood
Save

We live here and don’t dine out, we’ll do pick up, but that’s it.

5. Re: Fresh Seafood
Save

We’re planning a trip later this month. I am very very nervous. Are there a lot of people out dining? Do people wear masks?

How busy is it around the beach? Are the beaches crowded?

Thanks😬

6. Re: Fresh Seafood
Save

Honestly do you think it is safe to travel there now?

We social distance, wear masks and bathe in hand sanitizer now.

How are the crowds?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,742 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: Fresh Seafood
Save

This island has more people packed onto it than I have seen in 35 years of coming here and almost 10 years of living here fulltime.

We've quit riding our bikes, too many crazies out there.

Hubby went to Ryder Cup Bar, to pick up dinner, a few nights ago, he said more people than he'd ever seen and they were waiting an hour and a half to be seated!!!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,766 posts
81 reviews
96 helpful votes
8. Re: Fresh Seafood
Save

No, travel to Kiawah is not safe right now. You are right to be nervous. Please read the report posted this morning by a frequent Charleston area visitor. She stayed on Isle of Palms, but it's the same mix as KI: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g54171-i105-k13340743-My_Charleston_Pandemic_Experience-Charleston_South_Carolina.html

Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Fresh Seafood
Save

We are arriving on the 25th. Guess we won't even attempt to eat out at all, probably will try to do some food pickups. Any places better than others with this process as well as quality of food? I had a feeling that the island might be very crowded this year as people are staying away from hotels and feel safer with villas, homes etc on a beach. We have been there multiple times on 7/4 week so have seen some big crowds.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2 posts
88 reviews
30 helpful votes
10. Re: Fresh Seafood
Save

We visited Kiawah last week. We enjoyed indoor and outdoor dining. Outdoor dining- Salty Dog , went to Fleet Landing in Charleston and Stono Tomato Shed Cafe. All were taking precautions and we had no wait at any restaurant. We did eat around 3-4 every day to avoid crowds. Bike paths were fine and no problems with crowds. Beaches didn’t seem crowded at all. Easy to social distance with it least 20-30ft between families.

Edited: July 13, 2020, 12:50 am
Reply to: Fresh Seafood
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.