We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Permits in Assiniboine in 2018

5 posts
Save Topic
Permits in Assiniboine in 2018

Hello -

I am looking to travel from Aug 4 - Aug 10 from Sunshine Village to Howard Douglas Campground, to Og Lake, to Magog Lake, to Big Springs Campground and then out through Mount Shark.

Question on the reservations for Og and Magog Lakes. Is there spillover for hikers who were unable to get online reservations? Knowing it may be FCFS, but if for some reason we aren't able to get a spot, what do we do? Just keep hiking or can we post up somewhere close?

Thanks,

Tom

Mentioned in this post
Sunshine Village
Sunshine Village
699 Reviews
Banff National Park, Canada
2 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Permits in Assiniboine in 2018

NO.

For the summer months, Og and Magog are reservation only. If you do not have a reservation, you will not be able to camp there. No exceptions. In past years, there was overflow, but the situation was becoming a major strain the parks resources and the flora/fauna.

Your only options will be to look for a FCFS space in one of the tiny cabins or few FCFS campgrounds farther away from the park core. These are all small, so you need to have a very good Plan B.

Frankly, your dates overlap the August long weekend, which is the busiest weekend of the entire summer. The 4th is the Saturday night, so the chances of finding any FCFS campsites in the park is pretty much nil. I wouldn't anticipate on spots being open until at least the 6th. And if you don't have reservations for a campsite in Banff NP (if you are camping there), do that ASAP as spots may well be already booked.

So you may have some hard choices. Honestly, I think your timing may make this trip nearly impossible if you don't have campsite bookings. Even on other weekends or during a regular week, FCFS might work. But arriving part way through a holiday weekend is very poor timing. People will have 1-3 days head start on you and likely are staying put for a night or two at least.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Permits in Assiniboine in 2018

Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up booking a trip to the Rockwall and I'm very happy! I'll have to save Assiniboine for the fall. Might be prettier and quieter then too :)

Cheers from an American who hates his country!

Mentioned in this post
Assiniboine Lodge
Assiniboine Lodge
77 Reviews
Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park, Canada
Reply to: Permits in Assiniboine in 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Assiniboine...
;