We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power outages

Auberry, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
24 helpful votes
Power outages
Save

Heard alot about power outages and was wondering if anyone can tell me if they will affect or stay at Piedras y Olas. What about the resturants in town?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
67 posts
43 reviews
68 helpful votes
1. Re: Power outages
Save

Pelican Eyes has a generator. You should be fine. Don't miss El Colibri, my favorite restaurant. Walk straight down the hill from your place to (I believe) the second cross road. Villa Isabella will be on the corner on your right. Turn left and walk down 1 or 2 blocks to the restaurant on your left. Also you will pass the Panaderia, stop in any (or every) morning for straight from the oven, to die for cinnamon rolls. Other restaurants to try are El Timon for Seafood and O Sole Mio for Italian. Both are located on the beach in SJDS.

New York
5 posts
2. Re: Power outages
Save

Only experienced power outages when it rained really hard. Not a big problem though. If it happens I would suggest making your way to one of the bars at Piedras and enjoy the scenery.

As for the restaurants in SJDS, all of them were great and cheap. I agree, Colibri and Timon were the best out of the bunch. The main restaurant in Piedras is also very very good. If you catch a nice fish, bring it to the chef at Piedras and they'll create a great meal for you. Don't forget to try the chicken ladies at night, you can't beat a massive plate of chicken, beans, and rice for $1.50. Enjoy.

Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
23 helpful votes
3. Re: Power outages
Save

I just returned from the San Juan del Sur area and the power outages are sill being enforced. It has NOTHING to do with the rain. Although that doesn't help any. The week we were there the sun was out the whole time and the power on average was out 6 hours a day. We did have one day where the power never came on, but every day the power goes out. Most hotels and resturants have generators, but it doesn't work for all their appliances for example the A/C is not hooked up to the same power as the lights so the generator only works on the lights. The noise and smell of gas from the generators makes an unpleasent evening dinner, and an unplesent night sleep.

My advise would be... stay away from the country. Vacation somewhere else. For all the problems the hotels won't even give you a discount without a fight.

New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
49 reviews
181 helpful votes
4. Re: Power outages
Save

I've been to Nicaragua twice this year....and am heading back for the month of Oct and Nov. Power outages are a way of life in Nicaragua. Though they can be an inconvenience.....life stills goes on. Piedras y Olas has a generator for the public areas, but the rooms lose electricity.....this can get uncomfortable when the fan and AC don't work.....but the power is rarely out all night. Some restaurants use generators and some use candles. Though the candles definitely have more charm, generators make it easier to read a menu. All of the restaurants continue to serve food....hotels stay open.....and most people in town come out of their living rooms and sit on their front steps to chat and escape the heat of the house. Though I wish Nicaragua could find a way to keep the lights on.....it's really not all that bad.

Orlando
3 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Power outages
Save

We were there on October 10th and the power went out at 10am. The night before we had power all night. It was cool that day, so it didn't really matter.

Orlando
3 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Power outages
Save

Sorry, we were there October 3rd when the power was out.

Dallas
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Power outages
Save

Spent a week at Piedras y Olas leading up to Christmas....power went out twice, once for one hour, the other time for two hours - both in the early evening. Hotel staff told us power would be back on by 8, and it was - consider this a rolling black out situation. Lower villas/casitas at the hotel are connected to a generator...upper ones are not yet connected, but the generator has been delivered, but not yet installed. When the power was out at our villa, we could see lights on in town, so power outages seemed to be hit or miss not only in SJDS, but also occurs throughout the country.

8. Re: Power outages

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: August 25, 2009, 5:22 pm
Get answers to your questions about San Juan del Sur
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.