We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Nicaragua?

Lee, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
1 helpful vote
Snorkeling in Nicaragua?
Save

We're planning a trip to Nicaragua this year; wondering if anyone has any experience with the beaches near San Juan Del Sur. I have not found any mention of snorkeling. Is the water too rough there?

I did see the info about the Corn Islands, but that seems a bit far from SJDS.

Thanks

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
180 posts
174 reviews
63 helpful votes
1. Re: Snorkeling in Nicaragua?
Save

Not at all. The individual beaches vary, one may have warnings of rip tides, the adjacent one just fine, and another one of a surfers' beach. Lots of variety, snorkeling is just fine.

Lee, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Snorkeling in Nicaragua?
Save

Are there reefs along the coast? interesting fish? is it really worth lugging our gear or will we instead spend all our time doing stuff above water?

thanks

San Diego
3 posts
3. Re: Snorkeling in Nicaragua?
Save

I was there three years ago this September and found the bay to be murky, as was the Majagual beach just to the north (popular for its surfing). That being said there did seem to be some points which offered some good snorkeling. I had my gear, but didn't bother to unpack it. Great tidepools and beachcombing.

Ironically, the other place in Nica I got to was Corn Island, which I highly highly recommend. Phenomenal snorkeling which put Costa Maya/Cozumel to shame. Great culture - mix of mainlanders, creole, and Moskito. Worth the extra cost to get a flight out of Managua, but obviously more expensive if you're travelling on a budget...if only you could get there on the buses...

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
187 posts
26 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Snorkeling in Nicaragua?
Save

Just returned from SJDS. Snorkeling is not great along the pacific coast. And that includes costa rica. There are a few spots, but nothing to compare to the caribbean side. I was a bit disappointed but found the rest of the SJDS experience plenty of fun...

Spokane, Washington
2 posts
5. Re: Snorkeling in Nicaragua?
Save

I visited SJDS in early Febuary. I did not see and divers there but the harbor is calm and there shourl be some excellent areas to dive near SJDS. I don't remeber seeing any dive shops but but there could be some here. You could contact Tuour Nicaragua fo bette info.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
187 posts
26 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Snorkeling in Nicaragua?
Save

Yes, there is a dive shop in San Juan del Sur that is located in what used to be Ricardo's restaurant on the waterfront. Check out their website at www.scubashack-nicaragua.com and note that they don't offer snorkeling tours... but probably could arrange something if you were desperate!

7. Re: Snorkeling in Nicaragua?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: August 26, 2009, 1:17 am
Get answers to your questions about San Juan del Sur
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.