We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
114 posts
22 reviews
16 helpful votes
Places to stay
Save

Hello! Planning to visit the area for a few days in October and using Harrisburg as a base to explore the area. We're planning on visiting parks, corn mazes, wineries, zoos, markets and other outdoor attractions. We're thinking of taking daytrips to Gettysburg & Lancaster areas.

Are there neighborhoods in Harrisburg itself that you would suggest staying that are walkable and have interesting shops and restaurants? Or is the city more quiet and you'd suggest staying outside the city? I know small cities can really very in their vibe, so wasn't sure what Harrisburg is like. Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Hawley, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Places to stay
Save

I am going to stay overnight for each of the next 3 months to visit a family member. Can't speak for individual neighborhoods but I like B&B's. Next weekend I am staying at The Manor At Front http://themanoronfront.com/

and in Sept I shall stay at The City House,https://cityhousebb.com/, both on Front St with views of the river.

It seems you can walk to restaurants along the riverwalk from City House. I read reviews here on TA so you may find something that interests you. I can come back and tell you how I liked the B&B's if you like. I have been to see The Civil War museum which was excellent and had a Groupon.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
169 reviews
74 helpful votes
2. Re: Places to stay
Save

Downtown Harrisburg is strong on restaurants & bars, very short on shopping. If you want to be able to walk to various restaurants and bars, staying in the city is good. The Hilton & Crowne Plaza are the only 2 downtown hotels. I've had friends stay at The Manor on Front Street and it is nice; however, not walkable to downtown. The City House, referred in the above post, would be walkable; however, I know nothing about it.

If you stay outside the city, there are a ton of options, it would really depend on the type of accommodation & amenities you're looking for. If you decide to stay outside the city and provide some additional information, I may be able to make some suggestions.

Reply to: Places to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Harrisburg
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.