We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

few days getaway with SO

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
454 posts
16 reviews
6 helpful votes
few days getaway with SO
Save

trying to put together a getaway for the end of this month......just a change of scenery and open spaces, a comfy bed in a decent reasonable priced hotel with a pool.....some diff places to eat.....I like the Penns cave and also like the lake tobias wildlife park, which is north of harrisburg.....i know there is about an hour and a half between those 2 places...never been in harrisburg, but not sure i want to walk around to see things in this heat and humidity..... im thinking of finding a hotel in between those 2 places, but map looks like its pretty rural, and staying in harrisburg will probably be expensive.....

any suggestions or ideas ? where might be a decent place to stay, quiet, some scenery a pool, anything worth cking out in Harrisburg?? we have been to wellsboro yrs ago......i know ricketts glen SP is over an hour away from that wildlife zoo, they have the waterfalls and trails.......????

8 replies to this topic
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
169 reviews
74 helpful votes
1. Re: few days getaway with SO
Save

You are correct, the area between Lake Tobias & Penns Cave is rural. Maybe drive to Lake Tobias and when you are done there, drive to the State College area where there would be more of a choice of lodging, and do Penns Cave the following day. While in State College, you could walk through the Penn State Arboretum and get ice cream at the PSU Berkey Creamery.

There are things to do/see in Harrisburg - the Harrisburg Senators minor league baseball team, PA State Capitol, PA State Museum, Susquehanna Art Museum, restaurant row, Ft. Hunter, & Wildwood Park. Hershey is nearby and even if you aren't interested in Hersheypark, there are other things to do. There are also several wineries & micro breweries in the area. The Inn at Westwynd, is a nice bed & breakfast near Hershey. In this heat, I agree it's not pleasant being outside.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
24 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: few days getaway with SO
Save

I was thinking of Selinsgrove or Lewisburg as a midway point. It's still about an hour west to Penns Cave and an hour south to Lake Tobias, but the scenery is beautiful along the Susquehanna River and in the mountains and you can choose from plenty of hotels and restaurants among those two towns. You'd also be roughly an hour or so from the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, Ricketts Glen, and at least half a dozen other state parks.

Going to or from Lake Tobias, you could cross the Susquehanna River on the Millersburg Ferry, provided that the ferry is open on that day. They post their schedule on their Facebook page.

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
454 posts
16 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: few days getaway with SO
Save

thanks to both of you.....im cking out selinsgrove area hotels.....the road they are all on seems to be that busy highway, but we shall see.....lewisburg seems more quieter area of hotels, but less....driving an hour to penns cave or down to wildlife is no biggy, and maybe just a nice place to chill and ck out open scenery, mnts etc a park, or just swim at the pool. hahaha.....anyplaces to eat in the areas you recommend?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
24 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: few days getaway with SO
Save

Unfortunately the area of Route 15 you are probably talking about, just north of Selinsgrove, is very busy. They are extending the Route 15 bypass around the area but it won't be completed for several years. So maybe Lewisburg will be a little better from a quiet perspective. Lewisburg seems to have a nice downtown area as well.

I only know the area from driving through it but I have eaten at other locations for Marzonis, which is in Selinsgrove, and I would recommend eating there.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
169 reviews
74 helpful votes
5. Re: few days getaway with SO
Save

If stay in Lewisburg, the Rusty Rail Brewing Company in Mifflinburg (about 9 miles west on route 45) is good and if you like ice cream, check out nearby Amy's Frosty Freeze for dessert.

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
454 posts
16 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: few days getaway with SO
Save

I actually decided to stay just outside state college......wyndham gardens state college hotel......it just came up in a list and the scenery and quietness and indoor and outdoor pools...as well as full breakfasts and what looks to be nice rooms, got me......its all i wanted.....just a place that was in a open area with mnts and peace.....yes the golf club lodge is in that area too, which still makes it open , the outside deck to sit outside with coffee or to eat and look at the mountains......and its only 5 minutes or so to state college area....places to eat, ck out the arboretum etc.....and its close to the caves, an hour or so to tobias wildlife zoo....i even saw up in williamsport the hiawatha paddlewheel boat ride on the river... so with that stuff and just relaxing at pool , its enough for me.....besides the ice cream place in town....anyone been to any places in state college area to eat? whether breakfast, lunch or dinner....pizza food or decent dinner not too pricey....the hotel has a restaurant too and a bar....THANKS

Hawley, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: few days getaway with SO
Save

Flyeagle, I checked out The Inn At Westwynd Farm and made a reservation for Oct, thanks for the rec.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
169 reviews
74 helpful votes
8. Re: few days getaway with SO
Save

@Karen S - I hope you like it. I have not personally stayed there being local but have local friends who will occasionally book a night at Westwynd Farm as a quick get away and they really like it.

Reply to: few days getaway with SO
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Harrisburg
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.