We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card for Uk & Europe

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sim Card for Uk & Europe

I'm heading to the UK and Europe for 5 wks in August and want to know what's the best deal with a prepaid sim from London when I arrive I can pick up to use to call Australia while away even.in europe. Parents don't do the internet thing

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
4 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,388 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Card for Uk & Europe

Have a look at 3 in the UK ... their sims can be used almost all over the world at normal call rates.

You'll have to wait until you are in London itself to buy it ... they "possibly" will post it, not sure.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Card for Uk & Europe

The "Feel at Home" tariffs from 3 have some T&Cs attached, so worth a read. Not all 3 SIM cards come with Feel at Home, so it is worth asking whether the PAYG SIM includes this. Under EU law, all packages need to be identically applied in the UK and other EU countries, so it depends to some degree where in Europe you are travelling. Certainly from the UK, you can use a 3 PAYG SIM to call Australia from 3 pence per minute, if you follow the instructions of pre-dialling a code before dialling the Australian number: three.co.uk/termspdf/PAYG_Price_Guide_180518…

It looks like you can buy an 'add on' for £10 that includes 3000 minutes, or 50 hours of calls, in 1 month which can be made from one "Feel at Home" country to another - look at Page 9 of that document for charges if you go out of that limit or allow the Add On to expire.

Honestly, the safest option would be to use WhatsApp / VOIP provider via Wifi, so you know it costs you nothing.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Card for Uk & Europe

Yeah I’d get a Skype account and put credit on it then you can use it like a regular phone when in wifi. WhatsApp is great too, it’s much more popular overseas, if you could put that on their phone it would make life easier.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim Card for Uk & Europe

No worries, you can do your research now and get the sim card at the newstands, they’re everywhere in London esp train stations.

But like the others have suggested, Whatsapp is good & free. My parents also resisted using it but once I installed it for them, they can’t get enough of it :-)

Reply to: Sim Card for Uk & Europe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Swansea