We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing UK prescription only medicines in Akumel

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
254 posts
6 reviews
58 helpful votes
Purchasing UK prescription only medicines in Akumel
Save

We are regular travellers to India and Egypt and whilst holidaying there we usually purchase any prescription medicines that are prescribed by our GP's in the UK. Our GP's are well aware of this, and some tend to carryout the same practice themselves. Basically if a drug is classed as precscription only in the UK, GP's will usually only prescribe a months supply at a time and a prescription costs just under £8 GBP a month .

In India I can purchase a years supply of my blood pressure pills for a little over £10 GBP!

In some chemsits they require a copy of your UK prescription and some they do not.

My question is, can we do the same in Mexico or is this not allowed?

Not sure if anyone has ever done this before but as a regular Goa visitor I know that many Brit's do this as it saves a fortune.

cape cod
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
62 reviews
91 helpful votes
1. Re: Purchasing UK prescription only medicines in Akumel
Save

There are a number of pharmacies in Playa del Carmen where you can purchase prescription meds without a prescription. Last visi I bought some items at a pharmacy (ask if they have a generic to save more). I also purchased items at Play Mart on Fifth Ave and at the airport pharmacy.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,511 posts
10 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Purchasing UK prescription only medicines in Akumel
Save

It depends on the meds - some need a prescription in Mexico, some don't. Nearly all will be branded under a completely different name.

Whittle-le-Woods
Level Contributor
293 posts
33 reviews
48 helpful votes
3. Re: Purchasing UK prescription only medicines in Akumel
Save

We managed to buy in playa carmen, but airport pharmacy which we bought at last year, said most now require prescription, but some are still available without prescription, at airport.

4. Re: Purchasing UK prescription only medicines in Akumel

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: May 03, 2014, 1:17 pm
Get answers to your questions about Akumal
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.